Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh will now be two separate Union Territories
- The state of
Jammu and Kashmirno longer has a ‘special status’ in the Indian constitution. Ladakhwill be a Union Territory(UT) without an assembly and Jammu and Kashmir will be a second UT with an assembly.
- The state’s former chief minister, Mehbooba Mufti — currently under house arrest — stated that India is ‘terrorising its people’.
With both articles abolished, the ‘state’ of Jammu and Kashmir no longer exists. It is bifurcated into two parts — the union territory (UT) of Ladakh without an assembly, and the UT of Jammu and Kashmir with an assembly.
Union territories are governed directly by the central government, hence earning them the name. States, on the other hand are administrative units, and have their own governments.
Article 370 made the provision for the state to have its own constitution. Article 35A, based on Article 370, allowed the state to choose its permanent residents, provisions to government posts and governing property rights.
India’s current ruling party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), has made no secret of its opposition to it, in both of its election manifestos.
We are committed to annulling Article 35A of the Constitution of India as the provision is discriminatory against non-permanent residents and women of Jammu and Kashmir. We believe that Article 35A is an obstacle in the development of the state. We will take all steps to ensure a safe and peaceful environment for all residents of the state.
Prior to the announcement, Kashmir’s former chief ministers — Mebooba Mufti and Omar Abdullah — were placed under house arrest. So was People’s Conference chief Sajjad Lone.
After the chaos in the Rajya Sabha and the disclosure of the Presidential Order, Mufti tweeted that the government of India only want to take the territory by ‘terrorising its people’.
It will have catastrophic consequences for the subcontinent. GOIs intentions are clear. They want the territory of… https://t.co/rHGVrLjPGx— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) 1564985176000
Abdullah also expressed his outrage in calling the government's actions a 'total betrayal of trust' which may have 'far reaching and dangerous consequences'.
Article 370 and Article 35A which give Kashmir a special status will be annulled, Amit Shah tells Indian Parliament
All that's happened in Kashmir over the last 72 hours – from movement of troops to suspension of internet to political leaders under house arrest
India’s opposition wants Narendra Modi to reveal his Kashmir plan in Parliament
Imran Khan is asking Donald Trump to intervene in Kashmir as promised
Reporters in Kashmir get a satellite phone for ₹100,000 a piece as all other communication devices are shut down
Popular on BI
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore