Nordstrom laid off 521 people in Seattle
Nordstromhas laid off 521 employees in Seattle, a WARN notice disclosed.
- A representative for the company confirmed earlier this month that it would be laying off an unspecified number of employees as it weathered the effects of the
- Nordstrom also announced in May that it would be closing 19 stores, including 16 of its full-line
department storesand all three of its Jeffrey boutiques.
Nordstrom has laid off 521 employees in Seattle, according to a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) notice filed in the state of Washington.
A Nordstrom representative confirmed to Business Insider's Hayley Peterson on July 1 that it was laying off an undisclosed number of employees, while cutting executive pay, in order to grapple with the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
Reports have suggested that Nordstrom has cut its workforce significantly across the US. In June, the Seattle Times reported that the department store cut 6,000 jobs that month.
"We're realigning and reducing our workforce to support our market strategy, including in our corporate support teams," a Nordstrom spokesperson said in a statement to Business Insider on July 1.
"Every eligible employee will receive a separation package that includes severance, benefits assistance (COBRA) and outplacement support. These types of decisions are never easy, because we realize the impact it has on our people. We're committed to taking care of them as best we can during this transition."
A representative for the company did not immediately return Business Insider's request for further comment on the Washington WARN notice on Monday.
In its first-quarter earnings release on May 28, the department store alluded to layoffs but did not specify how many positions would be affected.
It also announced in May that it would be closing 19 stores, including 16 of its full-line department stores and all three of its Jeffrey boutiques.
If you're a Nordstrom employee with a story to share, contact this reporter at email@example.com or on the secure messaging app Signal at +1 (646) 889-2143.
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore