India will not meet its rooftop solar power target if it doesn’t help MSMEs
- A report from Deloitte and Climate Investment Funds states that lack of low-cost financing is a major hurdle in
MSMEsadding rooftop solar powerprojects.
- In India, the
rooftop solar capacitystood at 3.3GW in September 2018 while it aims to have 40 GW by 2022.
The report states that involving MSMEs “requires addressing issues related to lack of low-cost financing, inadequate level of awareness, and lack of rooftop aggregation models”.
India still has a long way to go in achieving its rooftop solar capacity target. According to a report by Bridge to India, the rooftop solar capacity stood at 3.3 GW by September 2018.
AdvertisementThe report further predicts that the total capacity addition will be 18.8 GW in the next five years, which still doesn’t meet India’s target.
Rooftop solar is important because it can be used for residential and commercial properties, making way for local utilization. So far, India’s rooftop solar projects have been mainly run by corporates but in order to scale up the capacity, MSMEs will have to be involved in the process.
So for them to step up in the solar race, the government needs to intervene. The Deloitte report also suggested that the government needs to create a dedicated scheme “such as interest subvention and the Partial Risk Guarantee Fund mechanism”, with a proper budget allocation that can be the fuel for pilot projects in MSMEs.
India’s solar power producers are awaiting a ray of hope
India's Renewable Energy Development Agency IPO may be delayed again
- Here is why a ban on cryptocurrencies may not be even possible
- Chiacoin claims to be an eco-friendly cryptocurrency — here's how it works
- SII's Adar Poonawalla says it will take 2-3 years for the entire world population to get fully vaccinated
- India surpasses Brazil with more than 200 journalists succumbing to COVID-19 pandemic
- If you have taken Covishield shots, watch out for these blood clot symptoms listed out by India’s Health Ministry