India will not meet its rooftop solar power target if it doesn’t help MSMEs
- A report from Deloitte and Climate Investment Funds states that lack of low-cost financing is a major hurdle in
MSMEsadding rooftop solar powerprojects.
- In India, the
rooftop solar capacitystood at 3.3GW in September 2018 while it aims to have 40 GW by 2022.
AdvertisementIndia has set high targets for itself – to achieve 40 GW of rooftop solar capacity by 2022 and 100 GW of solar power by the same year. The Indian MSME sector could be instrumental in achieving this target but there are multiple challenges that the government needs to address first, according to a report by Deloitte and Climate Investment Funds (CIF).
The report states that involving MSMEs “requires addressing issues related to lack of low-cost financing, inadequate level of awareness, and lack of rooftop aggregation models”.
India still has a long way to go in achieving its rooftop solar capacity target. According to a report by Bridge to India, the rooftop solar capacity stood at 3.3 GW by September 2018.
The report further predicts that the total capacity addition will be 18.8 GW in the next five years, which still doesn’t meet India’s target.
Rooftop solar is important because it can be used for residential and commercial properties, making way for local utilization. So far, India’s rooftop solar projects have been mainly run by corporates but in order to scale up the capacity, MSMEs will have to be involved in the process.
So for them to step up in the solar race, the government needs to intervene. The Deloitte report also suggested that the government needs to create a dedicated scheme “such as interest subvention and the Partial Risk Guarantee Fund mechanism”, with a proper budget allocation that can be the fuel for pilot projects in MSMEs.
India’s solar power producers are awaiting a ray of hope
India's Renewable Energy Development Agency IPO may be delayed again
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- DeSantis says Congress should act if Apple follows through on Elon Musk claims and bans Twitter from App Store
- Best refrigerator under ₹15000
- Asus ROG Phone 6 review: A bit more than just gaming
- Fintech unicorn CRED to acquire SaaS startup CreditVidya
- Jio Haptik and CASHe partner to deliver instant credit lines on Whatsapp
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed 5.97 times on day 2