8 pictures that show Earth is on the verge of boiling over
National Park Service
- A new study shows that the Earth's 'tipping points' could be right around the corner.
- Any one tipping point can cause a domino effect that would fast track climate change.
- These pictures show indicators that point to Earth being on the verge of a climate calamity.
'Tipping points' or large-scale discontinuities in the climate system were only thought to occur if
But researchers have found evidence of the planet to be on the brink of breaching some of these 'tipping points' even between 1 to 2 degrees Celcius of warming.
"If current national pledges to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions are implemented — and that's a big 'if' — they are likely to result in at least 3 °C of global warming," the study notes.
Here are 8 pictures that show how dangerously close Earth is to its tipping points:
The Amundsen Sea might have already passed a tipping point that can make West Antarctica fall like dominoes
And, East Antarctica is next in line
Greenland’s ice could disappear within the next 10 years
The combined effect of ice sheets melting could raise sea-level by 10 meters
The ocean’s getting warmer and it’s killing Earth’s life support system
The world’s largest rainforest catches on fire — and nature’s not to blame
Fires are also melting the Arctic
Any combination of natural calamities could cause a ‘hothouse’ Earth
Popular on BI
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Sustainable Urban Planning
- Anant Ambani, Radhika Merchant's pre-wedding celebrations begin with 'anna seva'
- Upcoming smartphones launching in India in March 2024
- Reliance, Disney announce strategic JV, Nita Ambani to be chairperson
- Fuel your morning: Wholesome South Indian breakfast ideas for health