3 volcanoes located along Alaska's Pacific 'Ring of Fire' are erupting at the same time
- Three volcanoes are erupting at the same time on a remote island chain in
- Two of the volcanoes are spewing low levels of ash and steam.
- The eruptions have not affected any nearby communities or disrupted air travel, officials said.
Three volcanoes on a remote island chain in Alaska have been erupting simultaneously for more than a week, NBC reported.
Two of the volcanoes, located on the 800-mile stretch of the Aleutian island chain, are spewing low levels of ash and steam.
Other volcanoes, including Pavlof, Great Sitkin, and Semisopochnoi
But due to their remote location, the eruptions currently don't pose a threat to any nearby communities. They have also not disrupted air travel, NBC reported.
It is not unusual for this area, also known as the "Ring of Fire," to experience volcanic eruptions since it is located along the rim of the Pacific Ocean, where many of the world's earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur.
"Alaska has a lot of volcanoes, and we typically see maybe one eruption every year, on average," Matthew Loewen, a research geologist with the Alaska Volcano Observatory, told NBC News. "To have three erupting at once is less common, but it does happen."
Scientists continue to closely monitor the volcanoes for signs of changes.
A 6.9 earthquake struck off the coast of the Alaskan Peninsula early Saturday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
Despite the size of the quake, no tsunami warnings were issued.
- Gen Z faces more pressure at work than previous generations because technology has eliminated work-life boundaries, a psychology professor says
- All 81 movies based on Marvel comics, ranked according to critics
- EY and Deloitte are scrutinizing staff workloads and quietly letting some workers go, report says
- Legal doyen and veteran advocate Fali S Nariman passes away at 95
- Sensex, Nifty trade with marginal gains in early session
- Audio series catch on as Indians spend up to 1.5 hours per day listening to them
- Family Business Succession Planning
- Delhi govt issues guidelines for handling end-of-life vehicles in public places