All the different types of face masks, and who should wear them during the coronavirus outbreak
- As the novel coronavirus spreads through the US, people have clamored for now sold-out or up-charged masks of all types in an effort to protect themselves.
- Health experts have said over and over that healthy people should not buy masks, since they won't do much to protect you, and will deplete the supply for people who do need them - like sick patients and healthcare workers.
- Here's a breakdown of all the different types of face masks, and who should - and shouldn't - be wearing them.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Since the coronavirus outbreak began in China late last year, face masks have gone from something you see on your dental hygienist to a sold-out commodity in high demand, despite warnings from high-ranking health officials that the masks could do more harm than good when worn by healthy people.
But certain masks are appropriate for certain people to wear as the novel coronavirus spreads.
According to the the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people who are sick with COVID-19 and around other people, home caregivers of patients who cannot wear a mask, and healthcare workers treating coronavirus patients can all benefit from masks.
Not all masks are created equal, though: facemasks like the N95 help contain virus particles from people with symptoms who must go out in public, while more expensive full-face respirators should be reserved for people who have trouble breathing in regular masks, or healthcare workers whose facial hair prevents an N95 mask from sealing correctly.
Here's the breakdown of which conditions each mask is designed for, and who really needs to wear one:
- Read more:
- Who should wear a face mask during the coronavirus outbreak, and who should not
- Men's beards could render face masks useless - one surprisingly comprehensive graphic from the CDC reveals why 'walrus' is fine but 'mutton chops' won't do
- Demand for face masks is surging because of the coronavirus - but doctors say wearing one isn't the safest thing you can do
- 'STOP BUYING MASKS': US Surgeon General warns wearing face masks could 'increase the spread of coronavirus'
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister