Tech billionaires including Tim Cook, Elon Musk, and Mark Zuckerberg promised 18 million masks to fight COVID-19
An N95 respiration mask.
- As the coronavirus outbreak spreads across the globe, tech billionaires are promising to donate critical medical supplies.
- This weekend saw a flurry in Silicon Valley CEOs promising their companies would donate masks to healthcare workers.
- A spike in demand for masks means shortages are hitting hospitals.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Tech billionaires are jostling to donate protective masks.
Over the weekend a flurry of tech CEOs including Apple's Tim Cook, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, and Tesla's Elon Musk promised to deliver millions of masks to healthcare workers working on the front line to fight against the coronavirus.
Panic buying means masks are in short supply even for hospital staff, so much so tha the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said last week that as a last resort healthcare workers should use a bandana or scarf.
The World Health Organization cautions that members of the public do not need to wear masks unless they are caring for someone who has contracted COVID-19, and warns that they are ony effective if put on and removed properly.
Here are the tech billionaires who have promised to donate masks:
Featured Digital Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry: Benefits, Services & Examples
- Value-Based Care Model: Pay-for-Performance Healthcare
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market Trends
- Smart Medical Devices: Wearable Tech in Healthcare
- AI in Healthcare
- Remote Patient Monitoring Industry: Devices & Market Trends
Apple — minimum 2 million masks
Facebook — 720,000 with "millions" more on the way
Tesla and SpaceX — 250,000 masks and 1,000 ventilators
Salesforce — 5 million masks and protective kit
Jack Ma — 10.2 million masks
Microsoft — 15,000 protection goggles and other equipment
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life