Watch this face shield for healthcare workers fighting the coronavirus get 3D printed
- The coronavirus outbreak that originated in China has killed 10,000 people worldwide and infected more than 246,000, according to recent totals.
- The US has reported more than 14,000 cases, and 212 deaths.
- A couple outside of Syracuse, New York, are using their 3D-printing business to print hundreds of face shields for healthcare workers, Syracuse.com reported.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
One couple in a town outside of Syracuse, New York, have turned their 3D-printer business into a manufacturing site for face shields to be used by workers at COVID-19 test sites in the county, Syracuse.com first reported.
Isaac Budmen and Stephanie Keefe, through their company Budmen Industries, are printing visors, which are worn by healthcare workers. A piece of polyethylene sheeting is attached to the visor to act as a protective barrier between healthcare workers and patients. The polyethylene can be either sanitized between uses or replaced.
The couple started by printing 50 shields on Sunday, and now has 16 printers working to produce 300 shields by the end of the week.
Budmen told Syracuse.com that the cost works out to about $8 per shield. See how they're printed here:
Budmen Industries is also offering the files for other 3D-printer operators to manufacture the visors, and is asking them to register in order to connect the producers to a healthcare facility in need.
As of Friday, COVID-19, the coronavirus disease, has infected more than 246,000 people worldwide, and has killed more than 10,000.
On March 11, the World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared it a pandemic. The virus has disrupted travel worldwide, leading to flight cancellations, quarantines, and other breakdowns in movement. New York City, Los Angeles, and Washington state, among other US locations, have closed bars and restaurants except for takeout as experts warn about the importance of social distancing in slowing the spread of the virus.
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days