What happens to your body and brain when you're quarantined, and how to cope
Ken Zurek, 63, poses for a photo at his home in Highland, Ind. Zurek and his wife arrived in China days before news broke of the coronavirus. They cut their trip short because of the virus and decided to self quarantine themselves in their Highland home for 15 days, just as an extra precaution. (Zbigniew Bzdak/Chicago Tribune via AP)
- As communities across the US experience outbreaks of the novel coronavirus, people who are infected or exposed are being quarantined in an effort to protect public health.
- Other people are working from home when they'd typically commute and some are practicing "social distancing" in order to avoid contracting the virus.
- While these practices can save lives, they may come with uncomfortable physical and mental effects.
- Here's what happens to your body and brain when you're quarantined, and how to cope.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
You'll likely be in an "unpleasant state" after a period of social isolation, since humans thrive, and survive, on interaction.
The effects of not physically moving as much can mess with your mind, too.
Reducing or virtually eliminating your physical activity can also cause your muscles to atrophy.
The effects of a quarantine can be psychologically damaging in the long term.
Of course, how severe the effects are depend on your situation, personality, and history.
To physically prepare for the effects of a potential quarantine, consider an at-home workout plan.
Stock up on some healthy, versatile staples, too, to help fend off feeling too sluggish.
To mentally and emotionally cope with a quarantine or reduced social contact, virtually reach out to others.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns