Elon Musk says that SpaceX is going to 'put a literal Dogecoin on the literal moon'
- Elon Musk tweeted Thursday morning that SpaceX is going to put a dogecoin "on the literal moon."
- Musk regularly tweets memes about both the cryptocurrency and its namesake Shibu Inu.
- His company is planning its first civilian space flight to the moon in 2023.
SpaceX CEO Elon Musk tweeted on Thursday that the aerospace company plans to put "a literal Dogecoin on the literal moon."
-Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 1, 2021
He frequently tweets memes starring Shibu Inus, the "doge" dog breed that gives the cryptocurrency its icon and name. He has also said that he plans to buy a Shibu Inu.
Read more: Elon Musk is pumping stocks, cryptocurrencies, and the energy of 49 million loyal followers to dizzying heights. Experts break down the risks of his incessant tweets, from legal trouble to losses for small investors.
This isn't the first time Musk has alluded to putting the currency on the moon. In late February, he tweeted a meme of a Shibu Inu in a spacesuit on the moon holding a dogecoin flag.
-Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 24, 2021
The phrase "to the moon" is used by traders when they expect stock pricing to surge.
It was used during the GameStop saga in January, when Redditors said they would pump several so-called meme stocks "to the moon."
Cryptocurrency site Cointelegraph reported that, of the 12 people who have walked on the moon, none brought any currency with them.
Musk's tweet didn't specify whether he wanted to bring a physical dogecoin coin to the moon, which are sold as memorabilia but do not function as currency.
SpaceX is planning the first commercial, civilian flight round the moon in 2023, with passengers picked by Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa.
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu