Here’s what’s special about India’s Cartosat-3 launch tomorrow
- India will be launching its earth imaging satellite, Cartosat-3, tomorrow morning from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota.
- The launch will include 13 other nanosatellites from the US aboard the PSLV XL rocket.
- The Cartosat-3 satellite is an upgrade to India’s Cartosat-2 ‘eye in the sky’ satellites.
The Indian Space Research Organisation ( ISRO) will be using its trusted workhorse, the PSLV XL rocket, to place the satellite in Low Earth Orbit (LEO). Deemed PSLV-C47, it will be the PSLV’s 49th flight and the XL variant’s 21st launch.
AdvertisementAccording to the agency, the satellite’s main use will be addressing the demands of urban planning, rural resources, coastal land use and monitoring land cover.
In September 2016, the Cartosat-2C helped Indian Army soldiers conduct surgical strikes along the line of control (LoC) by providing ‘Area of Interest’ (AOI) based images.
That satellite could provide images that were 0.65 meters in resolution.
The Cartosat-3 satellite, on the other hand, is supposed to be even more accurate with a resolution of 0.25 meters. It will also have adaptive optics, acousto optical devices, in-orbit focusing using micro electro mechanical systems (MEMS) and large area-light weight mirrors.
ISRO expects Cartosat-3 to orbit the Earth for the next five years from 509 kilometers in space.
You can watch the launch live on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or on the official ISRO website.
After reaching the moon, ISRO plans to dive 6,000 meters deep into the sea by 2022
AdvertisementIndia wants to set up its own space station to carry out experiments in microgravity
ISRO, NASA just spotted a black hole spinning so fast that it could be making space itself rotate
Popular on BI
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- All that you need to know if you are travelling to the UK
- Indian financial system steadily maturing, as it moves away from being bank-led to a hybrid one, says RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Spotify set to overtake Apple Podcasts by the end of this year: eMarketer
- Bitcoin scammers used Apple's iPhone 13 reveal to steal $69,000 from fans
- Mirror, mirror on the wall; when will you stop judging us all: asks Taapsee Pannu in her latest ad with SUGAR Cosmetics