Jeff Bezos said Blue Origin has sold nearly $100 million worth of tickets for future tourist trips to space
Jeff Bezossaid Blue Originhad sold nearly $100 million worth of tickets for future trips to space.
- "The demand is very, very high," Bezos said Tuesday, after he flew to the edge of space.
- It's not clear how much Blue Origin will charge for its tickets, which went on sale Tuesday.
Jeff Bezos said Blue Origin had sold almost $100 million worth of tickets for future tourist trips to space.
Blue Origin officially opened ticket sales in the morning before Bezos' flight, and in his post-flight press conference, Bezos said the company was "approaching $100 million in private sales already."
It's not clear if the company sold any private tickets before it officially opened sales on Tuesday. Insider contacted Blue Origin for comment, but did not immediately receive a response.
"The demand is very, very high," Bezos said. "So we're going to keep after that, because we really do want to practice with this vehicle.
"We're going to have to build more boosters to fly more frequently, and we're going to be doing that and working on the operational things we need to do," Bezos told reporters.
A seat next to Bezos on New Shepard went for $28 million in the company's auction in June. The winner pulled out due to "scheduling conflicts," and Oliver Daeman, an 18-year-old from the Netherlands who also placed a bid, took the seat instead. He was Blue Origin's first paying customer.
Virgin Galactic's ticket to the edge of space costs $250,000, and includes a spacesuit. Company founder Richard Branson reached space before Bezos on July 11 for Virgin's first crewed mission in its VSS Unity space plane.
Initially, Blue Origin wants to fly New Shepard between 25 and 100 times, Bezos said in the press briefing. Once the
Blue Origin wants to fly the New Shepard rocket twice more this year, Bezos told the media.
"We're going to build a road to space so that their kids and our kids can build the future ... We need to do that to solve the problems here on earth," he said.
- Apple is hiring engineers and interns for their tech team in India
- Actor James Michael Tyler, known for his role as Gunther on 'Friends,' has passed away at 59 from prostate cancer
- Apple is being sued by a San Francisco man for $1,383.13, the exact cost of his iPhone 12. He says the company refused to fix the device while it was under warranty.
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Nobel Peace Prize winning journalist calls out Mark Zuckerberg, links Facebook to the atom bomb
- Reliance Jio lost subscribers for the first time in 10 quarters but there's good news for Mukesh Ambani in this too
- Pankaj Tripathi and Maanvi Gagroo reprise their role as Kaleen Bhaiyya and Siddhi in Amazon Prime India's Diwali campaign
- Internal documents reveal how Facebook struggled to deal with misinformation and hate speech in India