NASA’s Perseverance rover sets new record before hitting a one-year milestone on Mars
- NASA’s Perseverance rover set a new record for the longest drive on a single solar day on Mars.
- Perseverance beat the 17-year-old record set by Opportunity.
- The rover also surpassed its longest drive on AutoNav.
AdvertisementNASA’s Perseverance rover will mark its first year anniversary on Mars next week but before that, it has already achieved a new milestone in its journey so far. Perseverance has set the record for the longest drive on a single solar day on Mars breaking the 17-year-old record set by Opportunity.
Perseverance landed on Mars on February 18 last year for a new mission to explore the red planet. The rover will also collect rocks and send them back to Earth for further exploration. NASA shared the rover’s recent achievement on Twitter saying that it actually broke two records. The first is the longest single-day drive on Mars. Perseverance drove 245.7 meters on the Martian surface on a single solar day in comparison to Opportunity who has been holding this record of driving 228 meters on Mars.
The second record Perseverance broke is surpassing its longest AutoNav drive. This is one function that
Perseverance is NASA’s most advanced Mars rover and it has made some big achievements during its journey so far. The rover has collected six samples of Martian rock and atmosphere that can be sent to Earth for further research. It has collected over 50GB of science data and already sent more than 100,000 images. As with NASA’s rovers, this one too snapped two selfies on the Martian surface.
The rover’s primary mission is to search for evidence of ancient microbial life on Mars. As for its next major investigation, Perseverance will explore the delta that formed in the Jezero crater billions of years ago. Jezero is where Perseverance landed when it came to Mars.
Apple acquires song-shifting startup AI Music, here’s what it could mean for usersAstronomers are getting concerned about the growing number of Starlink and other satellites
Popular on BI
- SC slams Nupur Sharma, says her loose tongue set the country on fire
- Will review tax on crude, diesel and ATF every fortnight says Nirmala Sitharaman
- JB Pharma acquires four pediatric brands of Dr Reddy’s Labs for ₹98.3 crore
- Hyundai feels the pinch of chip shortage, global sales fall 4.5%
- Audi gets back some of its lost shine with EVs, gears up for launch