Radian Aerospace raises $27.5 million to make the world’s first space plane a reality
Radian Aerospacehas been developing a space planethat can fly people and light cargo to low earth orbit.
- The space plane will be fully reusable and capable of flying back just 48 hours after touchdown.
- It will also be capable of delivering up to 2,270 kgs anywhere in the world in less than an hour.
AdvertisementSpace travel is slowly becoming more accessible with more people now flying to and fro space. There are developments of various space travel means including a hot air balloon that will let you take a trip to the stratosphere. Another means of space travel could be through a plane that can carry people and payloads.
The company has been operating in stealth mode so far with focus on the design and the initial development of the space plane, and the new investment will push it forward.
Radian One space plane
Radian One will be designed and shaped like a plane meaning that it will have wings which will make a big difference in spaceflight. So it will perform aircraft-like operations by delivering people and light cargo to low earth orbit (LEO). The space plane will launch and land horizontally as opposed to current liftoffs that take place vertically. But the space plane will require some push during takeoff that will be from a sled.
In addition to flying to space, Radian One will also be able to perform a mission, refuel and fly again 48 hours after touchdown. The space plane is designed to be fully reusable, and it will even be able to stay in orbit for five days.
The Radian One is also designed to fly here on Earth with capabilities of delivering up to 2,270 kgs anywhere in the world in less than an hour, according to a report by space.com.
The company said that its focus is not on space tourism but on making space travel more convenient. “We are not focused on tourism, we are dedicated to missions that make life better on our own planet, like research, in-space manufacturing, and terrestrial observation, as well as critical new missions like rapid global delivery right here on Earth," said Richard Humphrey, CEO and co-founder of Radian.
Radian’s solution is said to be a low cost space transport that can help create new aerospace markets. There is however no launch timeline revealed as yet for the Radian One but the ambitious space plane is one worth waiting for.
Scientists find new evidence of an internal ocean in Saturn’s ‘Death Star’ moon Mimas
Producers on a Tom Cruise film set in space are planning to launch the world's first movie studio connected to the International Space Station
Popular on BI
- PM Modi shares image of tailor on the street using Paytm, calls it a common sight across India
- Adani Enterprises’ ₹20,000 crore FPO fully subscribed on the last day
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- All major automakers except Bajaj Auto expected to register growth in January say brokerages
- India's core sector output rises by 7.4 per cent in December
- Indian start-ups are looking at reverse flipping says Economic Survey
- This cheesecake startup refused to give up a slice of its company for a lower valuation on Shark Tank India
- SC suggest Nirav Modi's bro-in-law to give letter of authority to CBI to access offshore bank accounts