See the incredible 57-year evolution of US spacesuits - and new models that will soon protect NASA astronauts
Jenny Cheng/Business Insider
Space may be the final frontier, but it's also inaccessible - and deadly - to human beings without a good spacesuit.
For 57 years, NASA and US companies have met the call to protect high-flying astronauts who risk their lives in the name of exploration.
From the silvery suits of the 1950s and 1960s Mercury program to next-generation commercial and government designs, here's how astronauts' spacesuits have evolved over six decades.
Dragan Radovanovic and Ali Sundermier contributed to this post.
Mercury Suit (1961-1963)
Gemini Suit (1965-1966)
Gemini Spacewalk Suit (1965-1966)
Apollo Spacewalk Suit (1967-1975)
First Space Shuttle Flight Suit (1981)
Extravehicular Mobility Unit (1983-present)
Space Shuttle Flight Suit (1988-2011)
Sokol Launch and Entry Suit (present)
SpaceX Crew Dragon Flight Suit (Est. 2018)
Boeing CST-100 Starliner Flight Suit (Est. 2018)
Z-2 Planetary Surface Spacesuit (2030s)
Spider Flyer-Walker Spacesuit (Date unknown)
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Best thin and light laptops in India for 2023
- India’s high valuations are justified, says Goldman Sachs citing rise of multibaggers and these other reasons
- Motorola Razr 40 Ultra vs Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 – Who wins the flip phone battle?
- India’s most disastrous train accidents in the past 20 years
- Crude oil prices may hit $100/bbl after OPEC+ decision, say analysts