Cricket World Cup 2019 will be played in the same format as the one in 1992
- All teams will play each other before the knockout stage.
- There will be 45 games in all, each team will play against the other nine at the league stage.
- This will be the most challenging World Cup looking at the format, Indian captain Virat Kohli said.
"This will probably the most challenging World Cup out of all the World Cups I have been part of looking at the format. The focus will be to play the best cricket we can play. If we do that, we will be on the right side of the result every time," Indian captain Virat Kohli told the media on Tuesday.
Kohli was referring to the
This means a total of 45 matches will be played, with each team playing a total of nine matches before the knockout games.
The last time this format was tried in a cricket world cup was in 1992 in Australia. That was the first white balls were used in cricket and the players wore coloured jerseys. That was also the year South Africa was admitted back into international cricket after 21 years of boycott due to the apartheid.
The team from Pakistan led by the iconic Imran Khan, who is now the country's President, won the trophy that year, while the English team became the runner up.
Going into this tournament, India is one of the favourites. The team has topped the International Cricket Council's (ICC) one-day international rankings since the start of 2018, with victories against South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand since then other than one lost series against England.
Cricket World Cup 2019: Minimum run rate needed on every ground Team India is playing on
Indian households face a double whammy with price hikes in milk and fuel
A boy who lived through the 1999 Odisha cyclone is a billionaire now – and here's what he learnt from Fani
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- Cristiano Ronaldo is now causing trouble for Portugal at the World Cup after his dramatic Manchester United exit
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Best sofa set under ₹15000
- Best washing machine under ₹15000
- Only half of Indian listed companies set net carbon emissions commitments: WTW
- Indian beauty brand RENÉE Cosmetics raises $25 million in Series B funding led by Evolvence India, Edelweiss Group
- Sensex, Nifty50 end lower as caution looms ahead of RBI’s rate hike decision
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World