The fall in ICICI Bank shares reflects the market’s dislike of banking stocks this week
- ICICI Bank’s share price fell by over 4% in early morning trade on Monday.
- Not just ICICI Bank, but other major banking stocks including HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, SBI, PNB, and IndusInd Bank have also taken a beating.
- Despite the market’s glum mood, brokerages expect the stock to rise anywhere between 26% and 29% in the next year.
However, ICICI Bank is not alone in this downtrend. HDFC Bank, State Bank of India (SBI), Punjab National Bank (PNB) and other banking stocks are in the red as well.
Source: Market prices as of 10:30 am
|Bank||Change in share price|
|State Bank of India||-1.93%|
|Punjab National Bank||-1.93%|
According to analysts, even though ICICI Bank’s overall moratorium book declined from 30% to 17.5% in the last three months, the overall share is still higher than its peers.
However, the fact that its gross bad loans fell to a 5-year low should have been a reason to celebrate. Even the brokerages expect the stock to rise anywhere between 26% and 29% in the next year. But the market is in a totally different mood.
|Motilal Oswal Securities||₹ 475|
|Prabhudas Lilladher||₹ 462|
|Axis Capital||₹ 475|
ICICI Bank has also increased its provisions in anticipation of what lies ahead once the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) moratorium comes to an end on August 31. It has set aside ₹5,550 crore ($735 million) for the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, with its total provisions amounting to ₹ 8,275 crore ($1.1 billion).
Azim Premji, at 75, would have been India's second richest man but he gave up a lot
RIL, Tech Mahindra earnings, options expiry and geopolitical events – top things that will move Sensex and Nifty 50 this week
Tech Mahindra likely to be the worst-hit of all the Indian IT services giants in first quarter
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- Microsoft President Brad Smith reportedly told Bill Gates more than a decade ago to stop emailing female employees
- Apple MacBook Pro and AirPods 3 launched – Indian pricing, features and everything you need to know
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max vs M1: Here’s what Apple improved with its new custom chips
- IRCTC crosses ₹1 lakh crore in market cap for the first time as investors adore its monopoly
- Crypto markets restless as Bitcoin ETF gears up to meet the NYSE tonight
- We aim to be the YouTube of podcasters and scale up 20X in the next 12 months: Sandeep Lodha, Gaana