Nifty 50 goes below 17,000-mark on rising Omicron cases, fear of lockdown
- The Indian benchmark indices dropped nearly 2% on fears of rising Omicron cases while the market awaits RBI’s monetary policy decision on December 8.
- Sensex fell more than 950 points led by losses in shares of IT stocks, auto stocks.
- IndusInd Bank, Tata Consumer Products, Bajaj Finserv, TCS, HCL Tech were the top five losers in Nifty 50.
AdvertisementSudden rise in cases of COVID-19 variant Omicron across India has spooked investors in the market over another lockdown and slowdown in economic activity.
Following this, Indian indices -- Sensex and Nifty 50 -- were down nearly 2%.
Currently, India has 21 cases of the new variant out of which 17 were detected on December 5.
“If this virus quickly spreads in India, then the market will be volatile for the upcoming next two weeks, along with that any further development on the effectiveness of vaccines on [the] new virus [strain] will be key monitorable [sic] for Indian markets,” said Yash Gupta, equity research analyst at Angel One.
Here are the top losers on Nifty 50:
|Top losers on Nifty 50||% change|
|Tata Consumer Products||-3.39%|
At the same time, market participants awaited the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) monetary policy outcome on December 8. Media reports said that RBI may maintain status quo on the repo rate at 4% and the stance being ‘accommodative’.
Since the variant was first detected in South Africa, it has spread to more than two dozen countries, including Asian nations like Sri Lanka, India, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and South Korea.
Indian indices were not the only ones fearing the new variant, market sentiment was weak across Asian and the US markets.
|Asian indices and US||% change|
|Hang Seng (Hong Kong)||-1.76%|
|Shanghai SE Composite (China)||-0.50%|
|Nikkei 225 (Japan)||-0.36%|
|Taiwan TSEC 50||-0.05%|
|Nasdaq Composite (close change on Dec 3)||-1.92%|
SEE ALSO: MapMyIndia’s ₹1000 crore IPO will open this week at a price band of ₹1,000-₹1,033
Indian government is reportedly looking to regularise work from home with a comprehensive framework
Popular on BI
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know