Europe, US, China: Drought has got them all
Europeis coping with a devastating drought that hasn’t been seen in the last 500 years.
- Significant river systems across Europe and the US have dried up, while scorching heat waves torment
- Half of Europe is facing a drought, including Romania,
Spain, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom, according to a report by the European Drought Observatory (EDO).
Europe’s worst drought in 500 years
Europe is facing the worst drought in 500 years. In
In Portugal, hydroelectricity output is likely to be affected due to the low water levels in reservoirs. Wildfire-friendly conditions are present in both Spain and Portugal, according to the
According to a report released in August by the European Drought Observatory (EDO), which is under the control of the
US gets hotter, China reels
Similar conditions are being faced by the US as well. A severe and persistent drought has gripped parts of the United States, particularly in the West. For the first time in 40 years, parts of the Rio Grande ran dry in the last week of July. However, during the summer, many of these areas also experienced rare and extreme flooding, which brought a range of fiercely different rainfall extremes to the area in a matter of hours.
According to a new study by Climate Central researchers, hotter summers are likely to be the norm. It predicts that 16 US cities will have summer temperatures comparable to the Middle East, while temperatures in other US towns could rise to match that of the cities in the country’s south.
Meanwhile in China all previous records have been broken by the heatwave this summer in terms of intensity, impact, scope and duration. On August 19, a nationwide drought alert was issued because it was anticipated that the country's ongoing heatwave in the southwest would last well into September.
On August 21, China's four-tiered weather warning system for extreme heat issued a red alert for the tenth day in a row, according to the Chinese news agency People's Daily. The nation is also making efforts to lessen the effects of the extreme weather on the harvest in the fall.
Popular on BI
- Gold and silver jewellery to get a lot more expensive
- Indian tycoon Gautam Adani has abandoned a $2.5 billion fundraising effort in his latest setback following a short seller attack on his business empire
- It's been a very bad month for Indian billionaires — four of the richest Indians have collectively lost about $45 billion in 2023
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the green amid positive global cues: Adani Enterprises, SBI Life, HDFC Life among stocks in focus
- Budget to aid flagging affordable home segment, boosts demand with infra push
- BYJU's slashes over 1,000 jobs, mostly from its engineering teams
- Budget 2023-24: Positive for infra and credit growth
- Budget 2023-24: Continued focus on infra to enable growth, create jobs & enhance quality of life