These are the top 10 most downloaded apps in India
Photo by Christian Wiediger on Unsplash
- Only one out of the
top ten appsis from India.
- New smartphone users are driving the growth in app downloads in India.
- Social media
appsdominate the list of top ten apps downloaded in India.
AdvertisementNot only is the Indian smartphone market setting new records when it comes to smartphone sales, it is also setting records when it comes to app downloads. Indian users have downloaded over 4.8 billion apps in the first quarter of 2019, beating US which came in second with 3 billion downloads.
According to a report by app intelligence company Sensor Tower, Indian smartphone users downloaded 29% more new apps in the first quarter of 2019 year-on-year. Apps from countries like the US and China dominated the downloads – nine out of ten apps in the list are owned by companies from these two countries.
The availability of affordable 4G smartphones and cheap 4ZG data helped India surge in terms of app downloads. According to Sensor Tower’s head of mobile insights, Randy Nelson, the first major uptick in app downloads was seen in 2016, coinciding with Reliance
Elaborating on this, Nelson said, “The growth in app installs we’re tracking in India is closely tied to the growth in new smartphone owners there, particularly Android users. Since the growth is closely tied to new smartphone users — that will be the largest factor in its stability.”
Top ten most
According to a report from app intelligence agency App Annie, nine out of the top ten apps downloaded in India are created by international players. Of these, four are owned by US companies and five by Chinese companies.
Indian apps Hotstar and MX Player missed out on the top ten list. While Hotstar managed to cross the 100 million downloads number, MX Player came in close with 98 million.
These five mobile apps will ensure you are safe while travelling
Keep a track of the last Rupee in your account with these five mobile apps
Google Pay (Tez)
Popular on BI
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23
- Apple to declare the 12-inch MacBook as obsolete on June 30