Consumers spend record $32 billion on apps in Q1 2021 globally, says new report
The market grew at unprecedented speed during the Covid-19 pandemic as millions stayed home, and smartphone users spent around $9 billion more on apps and games in Q1 2021 than they did in Q1 2020, according to app analytics firm
The growth in Q1 2021 was shared equally by the two platforms. Consumers spend grew 40 per cent (year-over-year) to $21 billion on iOS, and by the same percentage to around $11 billion on Google Play.
"Total downloads also grew significantly. Downloads on both iOS and Google Play combined rose by around 10 per cent to 31 billion in the quarter," the report mentioned.
In Q1 2021, gaming proved to be the most influential category in the overall app market.
iOS gamers spent the most at $13 billion (up 30 per cent on-year), while gamers spent $9 billion on Google Play (up 35 per cent).
In Q1 2021, gamers downloaded around a billion games every week.
"This is 15 per cent up on 2020, and 35 per cent up on the weekly average for Q1 2019. Google Play game downloads grew 20 per cent year over year to 11 billion," said App Annie.
The quarter's most downloaded game was Supersonic Studio's hyper casual survival game 'Join Clash 3D'. It swapped places with Among Us! at number 2.
AdvertisementIn 2021, mobile gaming is set to reach $120 billion in consumer spend, 1.5 times all other gaming formats combined, said the report.
On Google Play, in terms of spend, Games, Social and Entertainment saw the strongest quarter over quarter growth while on iOS, the largest categories by growth were Games,
Paytm Money set to hire 250 engineers for its new technology centre in Pune
Government withdraws interest rate cut on small savings schemes in a bizarre u-turn
Coursera soars 23% in trading debut following $4.3 billion IPO
Rajinikanth to receive the 51st Dadasaheb Phalke award
Wipro's share price jumps over 1% after $117 million acquisition of Australian cybersecurity firm Ampion
Popular on BI
- A boomer moved back to Virginia after living in Florida for a decade. She says she'll 'never own another home' in the Sunshine State and loves the slower pace of life.
- Satellite images reveal Egypt has been quietly building a 16-foot wall on its border with Gaza
- Congressman presses Elon Musk to provide SpaceX satellite services for US defense forces in Taiwan, report says
- The importance of multi-asset investing
- AirAsia looks to add tier-2 and tier -3 cities to its India route map
- Most Internet users avail of OTT services; 53% of them from rural areas: Report
- Companies to dole out 10% average salary hike this year, says survey
- Godrej Appliances expects 20% growth in AC, refrigerator sales in summer season