WhatsApp will stop saving media from disappearing messages — here’s how you can still save photos and videos on your phone
- This will prevent the app from saving media from disappearing messages.
- Here’s everything you need to know about the upcoming update from WhatsApp.
AdvertisementWhatsApp had started testing disappearing messages in 2020 and the complete rollout began last year. The feature was aimed at offering users more control over messages and text shared is retained by the other users.
One of the flaws of this feature was that WhatsApp was auto-saving the media on the device, rendering the disappearing messages feature useless. According to a report by WaBetaInfo, WhatsApp is reportedly working on a new update that will rectify this.
The new feature was spotted in the Android 184.108.40.206 and should be available to all users soon.
WhatsApp will now stop auto-saving media from the chats and groups in which disappearing messages have been turned on. This will make the chats more secure and will make the disappearing messages feature more useful.
Here’s how you can still save photos and videos
However, users will still be able to manually save photos and videos from chats and groups where disappearing messages have been turned on. So, this feature is still not completely foolproof. Then again, you can always take a screenshot if you wish to retain media, something which cannot be done on apps like
Other upcoming features
A recent report has revealed that WhatsApp is also working on a feature that will limit the number of times you can send a forwarded message to group chats to one. This is aimed at reducing spam and preventing the spread of misinformation.
The Facebook-owned messaging app is also working on bringing reactions to the app. This will allow you to reply to messages with reactions, similar to the reaction button on Facebook.
Here’s how to use one WhatsApp account on two phones
OnePlus 10 expected to be launched with a MediaTek Dimensity 9000 chipset
Meta is working on virtual coins for its apps that employees have nicknamed 'Zuck Bucks', a report says
Popular on BI
- Budget Impact: 10 stocks that stand to gain from FM’s announcements
- Budget to boost confidence of global investors and rating agencies on the India story
- Budget 2023-24: All you need to know about FM’s announcements on personal tax
- It's Sitharaman's shortest-ever budget speech, during which PM thumped his desk 124 times
- Some of Adani Group's debt funded capex projects are discretionary, can be deferred: ICRA