PUBG Mobile India to relaunch as Battlegrounds Mobile India – here’s what we know so far
PUBG Mobile, a popular battle royale game, was banned by the Indian government in September last year, along with dozens of other Chinese apps and games.
- The game’s relaunch could be imminent as Battlegrounds Mobile India.
PUBG Corporation, the company behind the game, has also announced plans to hire 100 employees and invest $100 million in India.
AdvertisementPopular battle royale game PUBG Mobile could be returning to India soon, but with a new name. According to teasers published by the game’s developers, it could be called Battlegrounds Mobile India, an India-exclusive version of the game.
PUBG Mobile India’s Facebook and YouTube pages have already changed the name to Battlegrounds Mobile India, making the name change more likely.
The company had posted a short teaser on its YouTube channel but has since made it private. A Twitter user managed to take screenshots of the video before it was made private.
#PUBG_MOBILE_INDIA TESAR https://t.co/4sJoU4d91Q— Rahul Prasad (@Rahulprasad0123) 1619698088000
However, the Battlegrounds Mobile India rebranding is still live on the company’s Facebook and YouTube pages.
The PUBG Mobile India ban timeline
PUBG Mobile was banned in September last year since Tencent, a Chinese company, held the license for the game. The ban was a result of heightened tensions between India and China.
The Indian government banned PUBG Mobile along with over a hundred other Chinese apps and games with concern over 'prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order', by the Indian government.
Since then, PUBG’s developers Krafton Inc., have revoked Tencent’s licence. The game will launch under PUBG Corporation’s own name instead.
PUBG Mobile India not approved by the Indian government, yet – but it might not need any permission
However, it is worth noting that the Indian government has not approved the game’s launch in India yet. In a reply to a right to information (RTI) query by information technology policy portal Medianama, the Indian government said it “does not grant permission for starting of any websites/mobile apps/service”.
While this means that PUBG Mobile India does not have the permission to launch again, it could also mean that the game does not actually need approval before launch from the Indian government – going by the Indian government’s response.
This could be the case especially if the game is launched under a new entity – in this case, PUBG Corporation – instead of Tencent Games.
None of this has deterred the company, though. It announced plans to set up an Indian subsidiary with a local office, 100 employees and an investment of $100 million.
Watch out this space for updates about the launch of Battlegrounds Mobile India.
PUBG set for a comeback in India – to set up a local office, hire 100 employees and invest $100 million in the Indian market
India bans PUBG, Ludo World, and 116 other Chinese mobile applications
List of 59 Chinese apps banned in India by Indian government
Popular on BI
- A millennial who became a millionaire after the 2008 crash says building wealth is about more than opportunistic investing. You also have to make lifestyle changes and load up on side hustles.
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- Learning AI can be lucrative: Freshers’ annual pay is ₹10-14 lakh in India, says TeamLease Digital report
- CoCo bonds fall sharply over Credit Suisse deal
- Date night conversations to diet charts – 10 things ChatGPT can help you with
- Gold is bankable, shines more than some western banks say experts
- Fear of financial crisis is keeping investors away from stock markets say experts