‘Remove China Apps’ races to 5 million downloads within two weeks as anti-China sentiment gains momentum
Rounak Jain/Business Insider India
- India and China are currently embroiled in a border dispute.
- A developer has launched an app that allows users to
remove Chinese appsfrom their device.
- The app has been downloaded over 1 million times in just 2 weeks.
AdvertisementThe ongoing border dispute between India and China has further exacerbated the anti-China sentiment in India. Capitalising on this, a new app called ‘
The Remove China Apps app available for free on the Google Play store claims to scan and list all the China-origin apps installed on your phone.
Developed by OneTouch AppLabs, the app has a rating of 4.8 out of 5, and has more than 96,000 reviews, suggesting that there is significant organic momentum in its favour.
AdvertisementThe app doesn’t require any permissions either, so you don’t have to worry about it gaining access to your personal information. It can be downloaded for free and when we tested it, there were no ads.
Why is there an anti-China sentiment in India right now?
The current anti-China sentiment in India was driven due to COVID-19. According to a survey by the Takshashila Institution, 67% Indians hold China responsible for the spread of the pandemic.
This sentiment has been further exacerbated by the ongoing border tensions between India and China.
Should you remove Chinese apps from your smartphone?
Given that this is a highly subjective matter, it is your call at the end of the day to keep or remove these apps.
However, if there is an app that you’re using and find it to be trustworthy and indispensable, it might not make sense to uninstall it.
In general, it is recommended that you only download and install apps which are reliable and trustworthy and have good privacy policies.
How to remove Chinese apps from your phone
- Download the ‘Remove China Apps’ app from the Play Store.
- Now, open the app and click on ‘Scan Now’.
- The app will then scan your phone and look for Chinese apps on your device.
- Once your device is scanned, the app will list all the Chinese apps on your device.
- Click on the delete button next to the app’s name to remove it.
India says there are five treaties to push the Chinese army behind the Line of Actual Control — while experts tell Modi to remain cautious
China is reportedly adding troops on the Ladakh border and India is matching up to it
Donald Trump offers to mediate the ‘raging’ border dispute between India and China
- Indian equity markets trade higher led by banking, consumer good stocks
- Health experts in France warn about a second lockdown as cases surge in the country
- Coronavirus cases in India drops to less than 40,000 after three months says government data
- Top stock movers — Kotak Mahindra Bank, Future Retail, RIL, Angel Broking, DHFL, Finolex Industries, and others
- NEET counselling 2020 registrations begin today: Here’s all you need to know