WhatsApp introduces Communities with support for up to 5,000 members – here’s how to use it
- This allows you to add similar groups under one umbrella.
- Here’s everything you need to know about WhatsApp’s new feature.
AdvertisementMeta-owned messaging app WhatsApp has started rolling out a new Communities feature – aimed at making it easier for a group of people to communicate with each other.
Some of you might be wondering how is it different from existing WhatsApp Groups. Communities are similar to normal WhatsApp groups with one main difference – instead of members, you will be able to add groups to it.
What are WhatsApp Communities?
WhatsApp Communities has been introduced to allow users to club groups created for a similar interest. What this means is that Communities will act as the main group, allowing you to connect multiple smaller groups under one umbrella, to make it possible for members of different groups to communicate.
“Communities like neighborhoods, parents at a school, and workplaces can now connect multiple groups together under one umbrella to organize group conversations on WhatsApp,” WhatsApp said in its blog post.
As mentioned, this will be useful for workplaces, schools, housing societies, and neighborhoods to connect multiple smaller groups in one large community.
This feature is similar to the Discord servers feature, which allows you to create several sub-groups within a server.
How to use WhatsApp Communities
To begin, you will have to create a Community on WhatsApp.
- Open WhatsApp and click on the “New Chat” icon.
- Now, tap on “New Community” and then “Get Started”.
- Now, enter a name, description and a photo for your community.
- Tap on “Next” and you will be able either select existing groups or create new groups to add to the community.
- Once you have added all the groups, click on “Create”.
WhatsApp Communities features
Member limit and group limit
The WhatsApp Communities feature will allow you to add up to 5,000 members to a single community, making it suitable for even large organizations. In addition to this, you will be able to add up to 50 groups to the community, apart from an announcement group.
Similar features as WhatsApp groups
Communities will offer similar chat features as normal groups, including reactions, file sharing up to 2GB, in-chat polls, 32-member video calls and the ability for admins to delete messages.
Shark Tank India S2 returns without Ashneer Grover, meet the new shark
September earnings on track, but it’s time to tone down optimism says Kotak Institutional Equities
Indian markets trade flat despite US Fed’s 75-bps rate hike
Popular on BI
- Google, Microsoft backed VerSe Innovation sacks 150 employees, cuts pay for employees earning ₹10 lakh or more
- Skyroot Aerospace plans to launch another rocket Vikram-1, in one year
- Rupee gains 8 paise to 81.60 against US dollar
- ICICI Bank launches digital lending solution iLens, powered by TCS
- Best earbuds under Rs 6,000