BGMI ban in India – why was the game banned, is the game still working, and everything you need to know
Battlegrounds MobileIndia was delisted from the Google Play Storeand the Apple App store.
- The game has reportedly been banned under Section 69A of the IT Act.
- Here’s everything we know so far about the game’s ban in the country.
AdvertisementBattlegrounds Mobile India (
BGMI was delisted from the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store, causing a huge storm on social media as the game has a large player base in the country, with over 100 million registered users.
Has BGMI been banned in India?
Google and Apple have confirmed that BGMI was delisted from their stores in accordance with an order from the Indian government. "On receipt of the order, following the established process, we have notified the affected developer and have blocked access to the app that remained available on the Play Store in India," said a Google spokesperson.
Why was BGMI banned in India?
While the Indian government has not revealed why it has banned BGMI, a report by Reuters has revealed that the government has banned BGMI under Section 69A of the IT Act, the same provision used to ban PUBG Mobile.
The Section 69A empowers the government to block public access to websites and apps in the interest of national security.
Even before its release, BGMI had come under criticism after it was found sharing data with Chinese servers. Krafton, the game developer, had claimed that it was aware of the issue and was working on resolving it.
Chinese tech giant Tencent also has a 13.5% stake in Krafton. Tencent was the developer of PUBG Mobile, first released in China.
Can you still play BGMI in India?
While BGMI has been delisted from the Play Store and the App Store, users who already have the game on their devices can still play it. Some users have reported that they have faced server issues, but it looks like the game is mostly working fine.
You should be able to play the game as long as the servers are live. Krafton is reportedly trying to resolve the issue with the government, so you should be able to play the game for some time without any issues.
Will BGMI be unbanned in India?
As the government has not released a statement on the ban, it’s hard to tell if it is a permanent ban or just a temporary suspension to ensure compliance with Indian laws. However, if we remember the 2020 ban on PUBG Mobile, the government did not revoke the ban.
The BGMI eSports scene in India
AdvertisementBGMI was emerging as a popular eSports game in India, with groups like Nodwin Gaming, Elo Sports, and Red Bull conducting tournaments with huge rewards.
BGMI delisted from Play Store and App Store after government order citing data sharing and mining in China: Report
Redmi K50i review: A solid performer but lacks the charm of its predecessor
GTA 6 may get a female protagonist – launch date and everything we know so far
Popular on BI
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Netflix announces series on 1999 Kandahar hijack, Anubhav Sinha to direct show
- Great to reunite with Sanjay Leela Bhansali after 25 years: Manisha Koirala
- Farhan Akhtar, Shibani Dandekar team up for Netflix series 'Dabba Cartel'
- 10 Fruits that help increase stamina
- DGCA fines Air India ₹30 lakh after elderly passenger's death at Mumbai airport