Apple reportedly hires Tesla’s autopilot software director for its self-driving car project
- Apple has reportedly hired a Tesla executive for its self-driving car project.
- The former Tesla Autopilot software director Christopher Moore will report to Stuart Bowers who is also an ex-Tesla employee.
- This hints at Apple continuing to work on, and expand its self-driving car project.
AdvertisementApple is rumoured to venture into products far away from its iPhones, MacBooks and AirPods. We could be seeing AR glasses and even an autonomous car in the near future. An Apple Car has been rumoured for years now as there have been hints about the development of this product, and a new one sheds adds to the rumour.
According to a report by Bloomberg, Apple has hired former Tesla Autopilot software director Christopher Moore. This doesn’t reveal anything concrete but it does hint at the possibility of an autonomous and even electric car from Apple. The report added that Moore will report to Stuart Bowers who is also a former Tesla employee. Moore’s stint at Tesla involved disagreements with claims made by CEO Elon Musk about the company’s Autopilot performance.
What we know about the Apple Car so far
As for Apple’s self-driving car, the iPhone maker reportedly has an undergoing project codenamed “Titan” since 2018. Reports also suggest that Apple has been testing its self-driving cars in California. Apple’s self-driving technology is said to be based on video cameras and LiDAR radars to sense There have been some high-profile hiers for Project Titan as well. Some of these include Porsche’s chassis development vice president.
Rumours also suggest Apple initially focused only on the self-driving technology but there’s now a full-fledged autonomous car in the making. The company is reportedly looking for an assembly partner to build the car based on its design. But despite these reports, Apple is yet to publicly announce its self-driving technology or when we can expect an autonomous car. This isn’t surprising since Apple has always remained hush about its products, and never rushed to launch products even years behind its rivals.
Apple Car launch date
There have been reports about the possible launch timeline of Apple’s autonomous car. A Reuters report suggested it could take place in 2024. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo however said that the launch won’t take place before 2025 or even 2028 so there’s still a long way to go before we see an Apple Car.
Hackers are stealing two-factor authentication codes by using voice bots that sound authentic
Netflix games on iOS could be slightly different than Android, here’s why
Popular on BI
- A startup founder was asked to do a coffee run on her first pitch, now she's among India's richest women
- Pathan, Liger, Godfather: Here’s a list of forthcoming movie releases that will decide the fate of the multiplexes
- Taj Mahal continues to lose its sheen due to pollution in the Yamuna and industrial emissions
- ICICI Bank market-cap hits ₹6 lakh crore as its stock rises to a record high
- Jio, Airtel could emerge stronger weakening Vodafone Idea further, say analysts