Apple reportedly hires Tesla’s autopilot software director for its self-driving car project
- Apple has reportedly hired a Tesla executive for its self-driving car project.
- The former Tesla Autopilot software director Christopher Moore will report to Stuart Bowers who is also an ex-Tesla employee.
- This hints at Apple continuing to work on, and expand its self-driving car project.
AdvertisementApple is rumoured to venture into products far away from its iPhones, MacBooks and AirPods. We could be seeing AR glasses and even an autonomous car in the near future. An Apple Car has been rumoured for years now as there have been hints about the development of this product, and a new one sheds adds to the rumour.
According to a report by Bloomberg, Apple has hired former Tesla Autopilot software director Christopher Moore. This doesn’t reveal anything concrete but it does hint at the possibility of an autonomous and even electric car from Apple. The report added that Moore will report to Stuart Bowers who is also a former Tesla employee. Moore’s stint at Tesla involved disagreements with claims made by CEO Elon Musk about the company’s Autopilot performance.
What we know about the Apple Car so far
As for Apple’s self-driving car, the iPhone maker reportedly has an undergoing project codenamed “Titan” since 2018. Reports also suggest that Apple has been testing its self-driving cars in California. Apple’s self-driving technology is said to be based on video cameras and LiDAR radars to sense There have been some high-profile hiers for Project Titan as well. Some of these include Porsche’s chassis development vice president.
Rumours also suggest Apple initially focused only on the self-driving technology but there’s now a full-fledged autonomous car in the making. The company is reportedly looking for an assembly partner to build the car based on its design. But despite these reports, Apple is yet to publicly announce its self-driving technology or when we can expect an autonomous car. This isn’t surprising since Apple has always remained hush about its products, and never rushed to launch products even years behind its rivals.
Apple Car launch date
There have been reports about the possible launch timeline of Apple’s autonomous car. A Reuters report suggested it could take place in 2024. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo however said that the launch won’t take place before 2025 or even 2028 so there’s still a long way to go before we see an Apple Car.
Hackers are stealing two-factor authentication codes by using voice bots that sound authentic
Netflix games on iOS could be slightly different than Android, here’s why
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- It’s not just Mercedes, even bank deposits are competing with equities
- A former Facebook exec says an employee at a 'large tech company' once complained to the CEO in an all-hands meeting about the quality of company toilet paper
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol