Reliance Jio to offer cloud PC services soon – Here’s everything you need to know
- At its AGM today, Reliance Industries announced the
Jio AirFiberand plug-and-play device which will be launched soon.
- By using the plug-and-play device - Jio Cloud PC, users can eliminate all expenses related to buying a PC or a laptop.
- Jio’s 5G services will be launched in multiple key cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata.
AdvertisementReliance Industries (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani today announced an investment of ₹ 2 lakh crore to roll out 5G services in India by Diwali this year. At RIL’s 45th annual general meeting (AGM), he said Jio’s 5G services will be launched in multiple key cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata.
Further, he added, “By Dec’23, we will deliver 5G to every town of India”. The company plans to connect 100 million households with high-speed mobile broadband in 18 months.
Jio AirFiber: A PC in every Indian home and business
Reliance has launched a new Jio AirFiber plug-and-play device that is said to give fibre-like speeds wirelessly, via WiFi hotspots.
Talking about how JioAirFiber will be a revolutionary device, Kiran Thomas, director, Reliance Jio, said, "Using JioAirFiber, customers can opt to use a virtual PC - Jio Cloud PC. No upfront investments, no upgrades. A super-affordable way to bring the power of a PC, even multiple PCs, to every Indian home and business."
The ultra-high speed of JioAirFiber will help in transforming how videos are consumed. "We can deliver multiple video streams, showing multiple camera angles at the same time and that too in ultra-high definition, and we can dynamically choose which camera angle we want to focus on," said Akash Ambani, the chairman of Reliance Jio.
Jio Cloud PC – What this is
As part of the AirFiber service, customers will be able to access cloud PCs. Using JioAirFiber, people can eliminate all expenses related to buying computer hardware and periodically upgrading it, and opt to use a virtual PC hosted in the cloud – called Jio Cloud PC.
With no upfront investment or tension of periodical upgrades, a user needs to pay only to the extent used, which could help cut costs significantly.
What is a cloud PC?
A cloud PC is a virtual desktop – a highly optimised and scalable virtual machine providing end users with a rich Windows desktop experience. In cloud PCs, the data is delivered from the cloud rather than physical devices, data centres or devices like workstations. Cloud PCs work on a software-as-a-service (SaaS) model. Currently, Microsoft offers Windows 365 Cloud PC service that hosts virtual PCs with Windows installed on them.
To access a Cloud PC a user needs a device - Jio AirFiber plug-and-play device similar to Fire Stick. A CPU is not needed as the connected server will act as the powerhouse of a cloud PC.
Reliance says that the Jio Cloud PC device will be a game changer for students, small businesses and gig-workers in the country. Also, the solution will be helpful for large enterprises as no upfront investment will be required.
Currently, there are no details on the availability and price of the device, but it is likely that the Jio Cloud PC will be available after the rollout of Jio 5G services.
Jio set to launch True 5G services across major Indian cities this Diwali
Jio, Airtel could emerge stronger weakening Vodafone Idea further, say analysts
Popular on BI
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Upcoming smartphones launching in India in March 2024
- Reliance, Disney announce strategic JV, Nita Ambani to be chairperson
- Fuel your morning: Wholesome South Indian breakfast ideas for health
- Vodafone Idea shares tumble 14%, mcap erodes ₹10,806.7 cr
- National parties declare income of ₹3,077 cr in 2022-23; BJP has highest share