Apple’s software update will make it simpler to replace iPhone 13 screens in the future
Applewill allow users to replace the screens of iPhone 13without losing the Face ID functionality.
- Currently, a microchip attached to the original screen is essential to use Face ID.
- Apple will bring out a software update that will let users swap screens without the microcontroller.
AdvertisementApple iPhone 13 owners will be able to fix their broken screen without the fear of losing the Face ID feature, as the Cupertino-based company seems to have backed off from its hostility towards repairing its devices at unauthorised stores.
According to iFixit, it was found last week that Apple disables one of the key functionalities of the phone, the Face ID, completely when the screen of the phone was replaced. It was found out that this was due to a microchip that is attached to the original screen and it is impossible to replace it from a third party repairer or DIY without the aid of sophisticated tools and requires micro-soldering.
The process of replacing the screen with the microchip, a simple process usually, is also time-consuming, which could be detrimental to many repair shops. However, a report in The Verge has brought the good news as Apple claims to bring out a software update that will not require users to transfer the microchip while replacing the screen.
Even though we do not have a timeline on the arrival of this software update; it is a much-needed move from Apple towards fulfilling customers' right to repair. At the moment, the screen fixes can only be done by authorised Apple repair stores, which can replace the screen without losing out on the Face ID by working around the software.
Along with the iPhones, Apple has also made it easier to repair its MacBooks and replace its battery. Apple has also introduced more ports to its laptops that can be used universally without needing to get exclusive Apple peripherals.
Netflix starts testing TikTok-like short video feature for kids content
‘We’ll plant 1 tree for every pet picture’ - What started as a sweet Instagram trend may end up being a scam
Leaked images reveal the first look of OnePlus 10 Pro’s large camera bump
Popular on BI
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months
- Qmin has been profitable business for IHCL from day one, says Jehangir Press
- India's foreign exchange reserves fall to $573 bn