Indians spent more than 699 billion hours on mobile alone in 2021
- India ranked second in terms of hours spent on mobile and downloads according to
App Annie’s latest report.
- Out of the total 3.8 trillion hours, Indians spent more than 699 billion hours on mobile in 2021.
- India also comes second in terms of the number of downloads across Google Play Store and App Store.
AdvertisementThe pandemic drove mobile consumption in 2020, and the trend continued in 2021 according to the latest App Annie report. In 2021, Indians spent more than 699 billion hours on mobile, according to the latest State of Mobile 2022 report by App Annie. This is out of the total 3.8 trillion hours spent on mobile globally. With this much consumption, India takes the second place after China and before the United States.
App Annie’s report shows that the consumption of mobile is increasing as compared to China which saw a slight decrease from 2020 to 2021. In 2020, Indians spent 655 billion hours on mobile, and 510 billion hours the previous year. The figures aren’t surprising since India is the second-largest smartphone market in the world adding to that cheap and affordable mobile internet. But it does highlight the growing usage and dependence on mobile as the key electronic device for entertainment, communication, games, finance and more.
India ranks second in terms of app downloads too. In 2021, there were 26.7 billion downloads across the Google Play Store and the App Store. India is however still far behind China which recorded a whopping 98.4 billion downloads in 2021 alone. The number is increasing for India though which saw 18.9 billion downloads in 2019 and 24.3 billion downloads in 2020.
Finance apps in particular witnessed over 1 billion downloads in India last year which is an increase from 8.9 million in 2020. This helped fuel the 28% YoY increase in overall finance app downloads globally to 5.9 billion. App Annie also highlighted breakthrough job searching apps in 2021 which was Apna for India with 17.7 million downloads.
Overall, Instagram was the most downloaded app in India in 2021. The highest consumer spending app was Hotstar, while WhatsApp had the highest number of monthly active users.
2021 was also a healthy year for the app store ecosystem and revenue according to the App Annie report. A total of two million new apps and games were released in 2021 for iOS and Android devices. Google Play Store accounted for 77% of the total apps and games. In terms of revenue, over 230 apps and games surpassed $100 million in annual consumer spend, and 13 of them even crossed $1 billion.
These are the worst social media apps for sleep
Here’s how to check your laptop’s RAM, model number, storage, processor and other system details
Popular on BI
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning
- India, Japan agree to strengthen economic cooperation including achieving progress on high-speed railway project
- India rises to No 1 in ODIs, becomes top ranked team in all formats
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x