Jio and Google come together for 5G, leveraging Google’s cloud expertise and Jio’s networking prowess
- Reliance will use
Google Cloudto power Jio’s 5G services, after announcing a co-developed Android smartphone, the JioPhone Next.
- As part of this collaboration, Reliance will also move some of its core businesses like
Reliance Retail, JioMart among others to Google Cloud.
- The announcement was made by
Sundar Pichaiand Mukesh Ambaniduring Reliance Industries’ annual general meeting.
AdvertisementMukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio and tech giant Google have come together to power the telecom giant’s 5G telecom services. This comes after both the companies co-developed the JioPhone Next, the first Android smartphone from the Indian telecom giant.
At the Reliance Industries’ annual general meeting (AGM) today, June 24, Google’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Sundar Pichai announced that the two companies are taking their collaboration further with a new 5G partnership.
This, Pichai said, will “allow users to connect to a faster internet, support businesses in their digital transformation, and help Jio build new services in sectors like healthcare, education, and more.”
Reliance to shift its core retail businesses to Google Cloud
Pichai made another important announcement, stating that Reliance will move its retail businesses to Google Cloud, in what will be a major win for the company against its rivals Microsoft and Amazon, who offer cloud infrastructure, too.
Reliance Industries’ Chairman Mukesh Ambani said that the company will use Google Cloud to “power Jio’s 5G solutions and Reliance’s key businesses like Reliance Retail, JioMart, JioSaavn, JioHealth, and more.
Reliance Industries’ AGM — Mukesh Ambani officially announces Saudi Aramco as strategic partner
Reliance announces JioPhone Next smartphone in partnership with Google – available from September 10
Popular on BI
- I asked Microsoft's 'new Bing' to write me a cover letter for a job. It refused, saying this would be 'unethical' and 'unfair to other applicants.'
- Microsoft's ChatGPT-powered Bing browser now available publicly
- Don't be in a hurry to prepay but plan EMIs better, say experts as home loan burden set to rise
- RBI continues to ‘watch inflation’ closely even as industry hopes for a pause
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023