Popular safety app Life360 is reportedly selling the precise location data of millions of kids and their families
Life360is selling precise location dataof 33 million users, an investigation by The Markup found.
- Former employees said Life360 sells data to dozens of brokers without certain privacy precautions.
The company, which is in the midst of acquiring
This can include hedge funds and firms involved in targeted advertising, or in some unique cases, government agencies such as the CDC and the US Department of Defense.
The Markup's report is based on interviews with former employees from Life360 and location data brokers, all of whom chose to remain anonymous, as they are still employed in the industry.
Life360 is a
"We see data as an important part of our business model that allows us to keep the core Life360 services free for the majority of our users, including features that have improved driver safety and saved numerous lives," Life360 CEO Chris Hulls told The Markup.
As Life360 struggles to become profitable, selling location data has become a key money-maker for the app. Last year, the company made $22 million from location data sales and partnerships, accounting for approximately 20% of its yearly revenue, The Markup found.
On top of selling raw user data, two former employees told The Markup that Life360 does not implement privacy protection measures such as fuzzing, hashing, aggregating, or reducing the precision of the data. From a technical standpoint, this makes it possible to link data back to the individual to whom it belongs.
Hull told the outlet that Life360 follows "industry best practices" and only sells raw data to certain parties. Life360 contracts prohibit third parties from reidentifying users, he added.
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months