TikTok and Twitter removed videos exposing gay athletes on dating apps in Tokyo's Olympic Village
- TikTok and Twitter removed videos that exposed gay Olympians using the dating app Grindr.
- An Insider article found creators using Grindr's "explore" feature to find gay athletes.
- The videos risked outing athletes, potentially putting some in danger.
TikTok and Twitter removed several videos from their platforms that exposed gay Olympians in Tokyo using the dating app Grindr.
An Insider article published Tuesday revealed multiple videos on the platforms, some with thousands of views, that showed creators using Grindr's "explore" feature to find profiles of users in Tokyo's Olympic Village. In the videos, made to gawk over the Olympians' bodies, creators scrolled through various profiles, where some users showed their full faces and gave identifying details. Some of the athletes identified themselves as being from countries known for anti-LGBTQ politics.
On Tuesday, Twitter said the videos violated their hateful conduct policy and said it was taking steps to remove them. At least one video remained up at press time.
On Wednesday, TikTok said it had removed the videos from its platform because they violated its community guidelines. A search of similar videos on the platform yielded no results.
The videos risked outing some athletes as gay and posed a potential threat to Olympians from countries where homosexuality is still outlawed.
In a statement to Insider, Grindr condemned the creators who made the videos, saying the video creators breached the app's Terms and Conditions, which "prohibit them from publicly displaying, publishing, or otherwise distributing any content or information that are part of the Grindr services."
"Out of respect for our users' privacy, and out of respect for the contractual commitments these individuals made, Grindr demands that these individuals remove their social
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- Mark Zuckerberg just ushered in a new era of tech, where profitability and efficiency trump perks and culture
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- Leasing of industrial, logistics space highest in NCR in 2022 across top 8 cities: CBRE
- BYJU's to miss March 2023 deadline for group level profitability, results delayed again
- Dedicate Mumbai coastal road to Lata Didi, urges Mangeshkar family
- Adani Transmission reports 78% rise in Q3 net profit to ₹475 crore on one-time income
- Young boy builds an online kabadiwala biz after being inspired by his uncle's scrapyard 'heaven'