WhatsApp Delete Messages feature spotted, will help in cleaning group chats
- Delete Messages feature will work as a cleaning tool for group chats.
- Only group admins will be able to enable and disable this feature.
- The Delete Messages feature is currently being tested in the beta version.
The feature was first spotted earlier this month in WhatsApp beta for Android 2.19.275 version. Now, as per a WaBetaInfo report, the feature will actually be used as a cleaning tool for group chats. The feature will only be available to the group admins who will be able to enable or disable it for a group.
How does this work
AdvertisementGroups usually have several participants and the number of messages per day are very high. Over a period of time, these messages accumulate and take up a lot of storage on your device. With the new delete messages feature, group admins will be able to decide how long a message should last. After this period, the message will automatically be deleted for all participants.
In the WhatsApp beta for iOS 18.104.22.168/24, the delete messages feature has a time duration ranging from one hour to one year. We expect the time duration to remain the same in the stable version as well.
How to save a message
While it’s not clear if WhatsApp will introduce a new feature to protect specific messages from getting deleted, you can use the ‘Star Message’ feature to save messages at present. These messages are grouped in the ‘Starred Messages’ section.
Currently, the ‘Delete Messages’ feature is limited to the beta version of WhatsApp. We expect the feature to be available for Android and iOS users in the coming weeks.
Scammers are now using WhatsApp to steal money - here’s how you can protect yourself
How to create your own personal WhatsApp stickers
WhatsApp: Here’s how to hide and unhide messages in WhatsApp
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- The best wildlife photos of the year show a curious grizzly, dueling reindeer, and fish swimming through a cloud of sperm
- Trading app Public lists shiba inu coin on its trading platform as the Robinhood rival broadens crypto offerings
- IDBI Bank's net profit jumps 75% despite higher provisions
- Asian Paints' net profit drops 29% on high raw material prices
- Dearness allowance hiked to 31% for central government employees
- IAF aircraft Mirage 2000 crashes in Madhya Pradesh's Bhind district, pilot ejected safely
- Wunderman Thompson South Asia’s Tarun Rai moves into a new role as Executive Director Strategic Initiatives, APAC