The 10 Best Careers Right Now For Recent College Graduates
AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez
Some career paths are going to be more beneficial and open to a recent grad. To help new degree holders find the right field, we looked at the University of California, San Diego's fifth annual list of "Hot Careers for College Graduates."
For this report, UCSD looked at four criteria - "current employment in the field, projected growth in the occupation between 2010 and 2020, median annual salary in the occupation, and workplace environment characteristics."
The study also looked at "bridgeability factor," a yes or no decision "based on whether a college graduate could bridge into the career with one or two years of study or reskilling." Several careers - such as nurse, veterinarian, and pharmacist - scored well on UCSD's criteria, but would be unobtainable for an untrained college graduate.
Almost half of the careers in the top 10 dealt with computers and technology, including the top two on the list. Although two different types of software developers - applications and systems - tied for the first spot on UCSD's rankings, we decided to solely designate systems software developers as the number one career, based on its stronger long-term job prospects.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- IRCTC, IndiaMART, Cummins India and others have been under pressure in the last 5 days but still worth buying
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know