The 10 biggest asteroids that could crash into Earth in 2019
- There are over 800 objects in space that could pose a threat to Earth.
- These are the some of the biggest asteroids that could possible hit the planet in 2019.
At any given moment, there are hundreds of asteroids in our
In order to keep that from happening, the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Near Earth Orbit (NEO) Coordination Center and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA) Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) are keeping a close eye in the sky.
They monitor the thousands of known asteroids and meteoroids, classifying a few hundred as an ’uncertainty’ or a ‘risk’ if it’s possible that could fall to Earth. As of August, the NEO Coordination Center had 20,502 asteroids on its list with 865 on the risk list.
None of the space objects on these lists are anywhere nearly as big as the asteroid that wiped Earth of the dinosaurs but some of them are definitely big enough to wipe out whole cities.
If they were to break through the planet’s atmosphere, the resulting destruction could be worse than the effects of a nuclear bomb explosion, according to NASA.
Here are the biggest asteroids to watch out for in 2019:
310442 (2000 CH59)
216258 (2006 WH1)
481394 (2006 SF6)
162082 (1998 HL1)
523934 (1998 FF14)
3467317 (2000 QW7)
504800 (2010 CO1)
2019 GT 3
Popular on BI
- Covid-19 and flu coinfection rising in India, WHO warns it may escalate in the winters
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 review: Value champion in the Android smartwatch space
- Best iPhone under ₹30,000
- Best earbuds under ₹1500
- Nykaa enters into a JV with Dubai-based fashion retailer Apparel Group