The 13 most common resume mistakes
Having an error-free résumé is pretty crucial.
Typos, however minor, could signal to potential employers that you're sloppy or you don't care enough to proofread your work, and they can really hurt your chances during the six seconds hiring managers typically take to make their initial "fit/no fit" decision.
So which résumé errors are the most common?
Career site Zippia used Python language tools to analyze 100,000 résumés for errors.
The résumés were randomly selected from a total of 7.5 million résumés, sourced from January 2015 to June 2017 and collected from Zippia's website, federal and local databases, and other sites.
After that, the team at Zippia looked through the résumés and ruled out formatting issues, email addresses, and names, along with any other items that didn't qualify as true errors.
They then tallied how many times they found each individual error in their sample of 100,000 résumés.
Here are the most common résumé mistakes ranked in order of the number of instances from least to most common:
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23