10 bucket-list activities I'm doing with my kids before they go back to school
- Summer is not over yet, even though the leaves are already beginning to turn orange.
- I'm soaking up every ray of sun, making memories that will get us through the cold days of winter.
- I want to make this summer memorable after COVID-19 has taken so much away from my kids.
I don't want to alarm anyone, but while driving recently, I noticed a small patch of orange leaves on a tree. When I did, my heart started to race. "Why is this happening to meeee?" I whined internally. It's only the beginning of August.
That's when I vowed to crush the rest of summer.
COVID-19 has taken so much from us and our kids. Before we know it, the magic of summer will float away, and the crisp breeze of autumn will roll in. The school year will come again, and we'll be back to routines, back to structured days, and back to reality.
I know it's coming. But I don't want to see it a moment sooner than we have to. So while I stave off the seasonal shift, here are the bucket items I'm most excited to tackle with my kids before September.
- I want to eat an ice-cream cone the size of my head.
Preferably a maple creemee in Vermont, to be specific. I won't force myself to get a kiddie size. I intend to fulfill my deepest ice-cream desires and feast like my children do.
- I want to have dinner as a family on the beach.
I'd love to pick up some fabulous takeout (so I don't have to cook for once), set up some chairs, spread out a blanket, and enjoy an evening on the sand.
- I want to dominate a round of mini-golf.
The kids don't have to keep score (likely better if they don't), but I plan to, and all I'm saying is, I will beat my husband.
- I want to listen to live music.
Picture this: a beautiful sunset as our backdrop, a great live cover band, comfortable chairs to sit in, funny dance moves from my kids, everyone laughing and singing along. It's pure perfection.
- I want to see a movie at the drive-in.
Preferably with all five of us piled together in the bed of our truck, with pillows, blankets, lots of popcorn, and snuggles.
- I want to have a movie day, a "do absolutely nothing at home" day.
A day where we can lounge on the couch, make forts, and stay in our comfy clothes. This dream scenario would include all three kids agreeing on the same movie within the first five minutes of looking for one.
- I want to go on a long drive with an epic playlist and lots of singing.
Ideally where we can at least take turns on choosing songs so I don't have to listen to "Fired Up" from the "Zombies" movie soundtrack 5,000 times in a row.
- I want to go on a solo date with each of my three kids.
Figuring out how and when to spend one-on-one time with my children is one of the toughest parts of parenthood for me. It just doesn't happen much - especially since the pandemic started. But I promised each of them time together before summer break is over, and I can't wait for it.
- I want to walk the beach and collect shells.
A breezy stroll along the shore looking for shells is exactly how I'd like to spend most of my afternoons in August.
- I want to swim.
I want do handstands, jump off the diving board, and race in the pool. I want to jump over the waves, boogie board, and play mermaids in the ocean.
I want to have fun and be present with my kids. I want to drop the distractions and pay attention to what's really important: time with them. I want to sear these feelings into my memory so I can dig them back up in January. Wait your turn, orange leaves. Right now, summer's still up.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry