GoFundMe has blocked $10 million in donations to a Canadian trucker vaccine protest praised by Trump and Elon Musk
- GoFundMe has blocked $10 million donations destined for the so-called "Freedom Convoy" in
- The Freedom Convoy is protesting
COVID-19 vaccinerules and has occupied the center of Ottawa.
GoFundMe has blocked $10 million in donations destined for a Canadian trucker vaccine protest that was praised by
The funds, which were donated to the so-called "Freedom Convoy," will now be automatically returned to donors, GoFundMe said Saturday.
Last weekend, thousands of truckers and
Trump said last weekend: "We want those great Canadian truckers to know that we are with them all the way." He also criticized US President Joe Biden's
On Friday, GoFundMe said that it "supports peaceful protests and we believe that was the intention of the Freedom Convoy 2022 fundraiser when it was first created." It added: "We now have evidence from law enforcement that the previously peaceful demonstration has become an occupation, with police reports of violence and other unlawful activity."
This meant the fundraiser was in violation of its terms of service, the company said, adding that "no further funds will be directly distributed to the Freedom Convoy organizers."
GoFundMe did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
Insider's Bethany Dawson reported Trump calling Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau a "far-left lunatic" and added the group could be coming to the US to protest Joe Biden's COVID-19 rules.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford told the Associated Press: "It's not a protest anymore. It's become an occupation. It's time for this to come to an end."
Canada senator Dennis Patterson said: "Let me be clear: If you wrap yourself in or go about waving a Nazi or Confederate flag, you are declaring yourself a person who embraces hate, bigotry, and racism."
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May