Ted Cruz memes are everywhere after he fled to Cancun as Texas faced a weather emergency
- As millions of Texas went without heat or electricity, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz flew to Cancun.
- Cruz later said he was just trying to be a "good dad" to his two daughters during the storm.
- Here are the best memes inspired by Cruz's trip to Cancun, Mexico.
Republican Sen. Ted Cruz left Texas amid a state of emergency to spend time in Cancun, Mexico, with his family. The Texas senator returned from his trip earlier than anticipated when he was swiftly criticized for fleeing his home state while millions were without electricity and heat during a rare snowstorm and single-digit weather.
Freezing cold, huddling under blankets for warmth, some Texans had to boil their drinking water due to frozen pipes and damaged water systems. Families struggling to survive shared terrifying stories online, with leaking pipes filling homes with ice and flooding buildings.
The dissonance infuriated many as Cruz, one of the state's two US senators, escaped to a warm destination while Texans faced a climate catastrophe.
In a statement Thursday, Cruz said he decided to leave Texas to be a "good dad" to his two daughters.
"With school cancelled for the week, our girls asked to take a trip with friends," Cruz said Thursday's statement. "Wanting to be a good dad, I flew down with them last night and am flying back this afternoon."
Naturally, the controversy immediately led to memes and TikToks online.
—Nico Correia (@notn1co) February 18, 2021
Cruz leaning on his children for an excuse provided fodder for many of the memes.
—Duncan Jones (@ManMadeMoon) February 18, 2021
—Mike Drucker (@MikeDrucker) February 18, 2021
—helen (@helen) February 19, 2021
The most popular Cruz memes of the week edited other people into photos of the senator in the airport, or edited Cruz into other famous photos.
—Ken Klippenstein (@kenklippenstein) February 18, 2021
—Jerry Saltz (@jerrysaltz) February 18, 2021
—raf (@rafaelshimunov) February 18, 2021
—Helen Kennedy (@HelenKennedy) February 18, 2021
The internet didn't leave out Snowflake, the family poodle Cruz apparently left at home during his trip to Mexico, according to New York Magazine.
—Michael Tannenbaum (@iamTannenbaum) February 19, 2021
—MeltLikeButta (@JWButta) February 19, 2021
- US will give runway rights at NJ airport to a budget airline
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee