The 'Baby Shark Dance' is now the most-viewed video in YouTube history
Baby SharkDance," a video from South Korean brand Pinkfong, appears to have become the most viewed YouTubevideo of all time with over 7.04 billion views.
- The video takes the title from Luis Fonsi's "Despacito" music video, which has a public video count of approximately 7.03 billion views.
- "Baby Shark" has become a cultural sensation in the time since Pinkfong uploaded the video in June 2016.
"Baby Shark Dance," the children's' video backed by the insanely catchy tune "Baby Shark," has just become the most-viewed YouTube video of all time, taking the title from the music video for Luis Fonsi's "Despacito."
The "Baby Shark" video, which South Korean children's edutainment brand Pinkfong uploaded in June 2016, now has over 7.04 billion views as displayed by YouTube's public view counter. That puts it over the edge of Luis Fonsi's January 2017 music video for"Despacito," which currently displays a public view count of 7.03 billion.
A YouTube representative did not immediately request to Insider's request for confirmation that "Baby Shark" has officially surpassed "Despacito."
The video, which clocks in at two minutes and 16 seconds, features repetitive "doo doo doo doo doo doo" lyrics as the song calls out "baby shark," "mommy shark," and "daddy shark."
Pinkfong's version of "Baby Shark" has become a cultural sensation in its own right, hitting number 32 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles Chart in 2019. The song has no clearly identifiable origin, as Rolling Stone reported, but the Pinkfong version, recorded by Korean-American singer Hope Segoine, is indubitably what catapulted the song into the pop
As Vox reported, the song became popular in Indonesia in 2017, with #babysharkchallenge eventually becoming a TikTok trend in 2018, accompanied by a popular remix of the song. From there, the song started popping up everywhere online, with K-pop stars championing it on variety shows and James Corden featuring it on "The Late Late Show."
In 2020, "Baby Shark Dance," the video that spawned the craze, is still an unstoppable force.
- Vodafone Idea, Zee Entertainment, Airtel and other top stocks to watch out for on September 23
- It’s good that India wants just two GST slabs but it has to ensure it doesn’t hurt consumers
- Best car seat for kids in India
- Best glass feeding bottle for newborn babies in India
- Best toddler bags for kids in India