TikTok star Tony Lopez is being called out for his past sexist, racist, and homophobic tweets
- TikTok user Tony Lopez is receiving backlash on Twitter after he tweeted about "straight TikTok."
- People began to resurface some of Lopez's old tweets that contain sexist, racist, and homophobic statements.
- Some of the tweets are as recent as 2019. Many have since been deleted.
- Lopez, who has nearly 20 million followers on the app, apologized for "any old childish tweets."
Popular TikTok star Tony Lopez, 20, is being called out for past offensive tweets that contain sexist, racist, and homophobic statements.
It appears the controversy started when Lopez — who has over 19 million followers on TikTok and frequently performs alongside his brother, Ondreaz Lopez — tweeted on July 9 asking why people didn't like "straight" TikTok.
"So for 'straight tik tok' is it that you guys are annoyed by the dances?" he tweeted. "Or because they have a high following and support system? Is it an envy thing? I don't understand why people would hate individuals for having fun and dancing."
The tweet has since been deleted. A screenshot of the tweet appears below.
TikTok is now characterized by some of its users as being split into two different sides: "straight TikTok" and "alt TikTok" (or "elite TikTok"). While "straight TikTok" is full of influencers and dancers, "alt TikTok" is the side of the app that embraces queer culture and content outside of the mainstream.
Some people took issue with Lopez insinuating "alt TikTok" did not have the same level of following and support as "straight TikTok."
Lopez's comment about 'straight TikTok' caused people to look into his past behavior online and find problematic tweets
Less than two hours after Lopez tweeted about "straight TikTok," Twitter user @evrytingiwanted began a thread "exposing tony lopez," which contained links to Lopez's past offensive tweets. Scrutiny surrounding Lopez intensified when internet personality and musician Elijah Daniel began to post about Lopez on Twitter, retweeting Lopez's tweet about "straight TikTok" and saying, "just shut up and stay on your side before you get ya cheek filler damaged."
People began circulating screenshots of Lopez's older tweets that contained sexist, racist, and homophobic statements or questions, some of which were tweeted as recently as 2019.
One of Lopez's past tweets contained a statement about Asian people "[trying] to act Mexican or black." Another posed the offensive question, "Are Latina women worth it? Asking for a friend." Others called him out for tweets in which he referenced Black and Asian women, saying that the tweets were fetishizing.
In another since-deleted tweet from October 2016, Lopez used the word "gay" in a derogatory way, saying, "You gay for this."
Lopez also came under fire for another since-deleted tweet in which he wrote, "Goodnight to the girls who suck d--- only."
Lopez has since apologized on Twitter
Lopez issued an apology on Twitter on Friday for his old tweets.
"Just wanted to apologize for any old childish tweets that I made 5-6 years ago if I offended anyone I apologize deeply," he wrote, "it offends me reading those now as well. I know people are gonna keep talking about it."
—Tony Lopez (@lopez__tony) July 10, 2020
Many were dissatisfied with Lopez's apology, pointing out that some of the offensive tweets were from only a year ago.
Lopez did not respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Read more:
- TikTok's Hype House is home to some fo the app's biggest stars, including Charli D'Amelio. Who are the other 20 membesr?
- Drama, arrests, and break-ins are growing pains for some of the biggest TikTok collab houses
- How an internet comedian pivoted to a career in music with in-your-face gay rap that has teens traveling for hours to see his shows
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar