'There's no such thing as failure': Mark Cuban offers his best advice for new grads
Slaven Vlasic / Stringer / Getty Images
That's because the prospect of failure is terrifying to many recent grads.
But "Shark Tank" star Mark Cuban has always had good things to say about failure.
The Dallas Mavericks owner recently discussed his thoughts on failure in an interview with Arianna Huffington for Thrive Global's podcast.
"One of my favorite sayings is, 'It doesn't matter how many times you fail, just have to be right once,'" he told her.
Cuban has had a few career failures of his own.
Cuban once recounted in Forbes that, at the age of 25, he was fired from a sales jobs for defying his boss to go out and make a big sale. He also told Huffington that one of his first business ventures, which involved attempting to sell powdered milk, was a major flop.
Cuban's best advice for college grads today is to get out there, take risks, and make a ton of mistakes. Don't worry about landing the perfect job and doing everything right on the first go, he said. Because you're in the most flexible phase of your professional development, Cuban said now is the time to fail and learn from it.
"When you're 22, 23, 24, there's no such thing as failure, really," Cuban said.
"I also tell kids, 'I truly believe each and every one of us is really good at something,'" he continued. "The hard part is finding out what that is. You have to try and experience as many things as you can, and once you get there, then try to be as good as you can at it."
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000
- Now, tourists from G20 countries will get to use UPI instead of cash in India