Indians waiting for lunar eclipse will miss the blood moon
- The world will witness the rare
total lunar eclipseof the year — but India will not be able to enjoy the 'blood moon.’
- As per the Indian standard time (IST), the eclipse will begin from 10:41 a.m. today and will last for over an hour (63 minutes).
- In this case of total lunar eclipse, the sky won't go completely dark. It will rather show up a rusty red glow — hence the name ‘blood moon.’
As per the Indian standard time (IST), the eclipse will begin from 10:41 a.m. on Monday (21 January) and will last for over an hour (63 minutes). However, including the partial lunar eclipse, it will last for nearly 3.5 hours.
What's so special about it?
The eclipse is a rare kind as it will be a blend of three lunar phenomena together — the full moon, the total lunar eclipse and coincides with the traditional January full moon.
Total lunar eclipse — no, the sky won't go completely dark -- will rather show up a rusty red glow, called the 'blood moon.’ In fact, it's a 'supermoon’ — a full moon particularly close to earth. This is due to the dust particles and clouds covering the sky, according to National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
Unlike solar eclipse, there's no precautionary measures to be taken while viewing the eclipse, and can be viewed with a naked eye. The next total lunar eclipse will happen to be in May 2021, two years later. While the last eclipse had occured in July 2018.
Why the name '
The traditional January full moon was slated as the 'wolf moon’ by the native Americans and Europeans because of the howling wolves in the region, said the Old Farmers Almanac. Hence, the full moon covered with a total lunar eclipse is a rare 'super wolf moon.’
A 'super blood wolf moon' in January will be the last total lunar eclipse until 2021 - here's how to catch it
19 amazing facts about the moon
India’s space agency is planning a massive launch of over 30 satellites this week, including one capable of ‘hyperspectral’ imaging
- Unacademy leads $5mn investment in learning platform Mastree
- Wipro to acquire Brazil-based IT services provider
- Human clinical trials for COVID-19 vaccine initiated in India: ICMR
- Global vaccine plan may allow rich countries to buy more
- China bags Iran’s friendship with a loan — costs India the crucial Chabahar port project