'You are doing a great job': Trump lauds the director of FEMA for the agency's handling of Hurricane Harvey
President Donald Trump has commended the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency for his handling of the hurricane now hitting the Texas Gulf Coast.
In a tweet Saturday morning addressed to FEMA head Brock Long, Trump said: "You are doing a great job - the world is watching! Be safe."
Hurricane Harvey, the fiercest to hit the U.S. in more than a decade, is posing the first major emergency management test of Trump's administration.
Trump added an update early Saturday morning in a separate tweet.
"Closely monitoring #HurricaneHarvey from Camp David. We are leaving nothing to chance. City, State and Federal Govs. working great together!"
Trump also tweeted that he got Sen. Chuck Grassley's message "loud and clear." Grassley warned Trump on Friday to keep a close eye on the hurricane.
"@realDonaldTrump #hurricane keep on top of hurricane Harvey and dont mke same mistake Pres Bush made w Katrina," Grassley tweeted Friday morning.
"We have fantastic people on the ground, got there long before #Harvey. So far, so good!" Trump said, tagging Chuck Grassley in the tweet.
Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas on Friday night, packing sustained wind speeds as high as 130 mph. It has since been downgraded to a Category 1 storm with maximum winds of 80 mph, though the National Hurricane Center warned that Harvey would bring with it "life-threatening and devastating flooding."
Forecasters predict that the storm will stall until Tuesday, dumping up to 40 inches of rain onto much of Texas.
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry