There are 3 body shapes - here's what each reveals about your health
What body shape are you?
Apple, Pear, or Hourglass. These are the 3 main body types, according to doctors. Which one you have can say a lot about your health and could explain why it's so hard to lose weight.
"Apples" carry extra weight around the waist.
This is where a dangerous type of fat often accumulates. It's called visceral fat and it penetrates deep under the skin. It builds up around the organs, harming them over time.
The result is a higher risk of: Heart disease, High blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, Certain cancers like colon and uterine cancer.
The upside? Visceral fat is the easiest type to get rid of with diet and exercise. So, "apples" often lose weight faster than other body shapes.
However, "pears" have a harder time losing weight.
That's because "pears" store most excess fat in their lower half. This stubborn fat is commonly called "passive fat". While it's not as dangerous as visceral fat it places extra stress on the legs.
This can increase the risk of: Varicose veins, Degenerative knee and leg joint diseases. The upside? "Pears" are at lower risk of the diseases that "apples" often face.
Then there are those shaped like an hourglass (for women) or rectangle (for men). These people tend to carry extra weight all over. That includes visceral fat around the midsection.
So, they're also at risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Luckily, diet and exercise can reduce the health risks.
So which shape are you?
- Wild video shows Florida police officers wrangling a huge alligator in the middle of the street
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- White House refuses to pay for Twitter's Blue verification: Report
- Italy bans ChatGPT, orders investigation over privacy breach
- IISc researchers design tiny supercapacitor capable of storing large amount of electric charge
- India exported military hardware worth ₹15,920 crore in 2022-23: Rajnath
- From Citadel to Ponniyin Selvan 2: a look at the shows & movies releasing in April