Being vegetarian can help you save the world, according to UN
- If people start including more vegetables and less meat in their daily diet, they can help mitigate carbon emissions.
- Producing livestock releases more greenhouse gases than growing vegetables on a farm.
- The strong recommendation was specifically for rich countries.
If people start including more vegetables and less meat in their daily diet, they can help mitigate the carbon emission. According to the experts, producing livestock releases more greenhouse gases than growing vegetables in a farm.
The strong recommendation was given specifically to rich countries. Most parts of the world don't eat a lot of meat, according to Timothy Searchinger from the World Resource Institute. However, the consumption of meat grows with the wealth of the country. For instance, United States "eat lots of meat", he added.
“Some dietary choices require more land and water and cause more emissions of heat-trapping gases than others,” Debra Roberts, co-chair of IPCC Working Group II.
Producing livestock such as beef and lamb takes up a lot of land. Often space is made available after clearing the forests. The demand for livestock will decrease if people cut it down.
Further, these suggestions if adopted can save a million squares of land and reduce the carbon emission by 8 billion tonnes by 2050, pointed out the report.
The report was produced by the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate change and included over a hundred scientists from 52 countries across the world.
Popular on BI
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Crompton Greaves Consumer Electricals and kitchen appliance maker Butterfly announce merger
- ICMR comes up with first ethical guidelines for application of AI in biomedical research, healthcare
- Measures taken by IIFCL to keep bad loans under check: Parliamentary panel
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock