Both Silver Lake and Mukesh Ambani hope that Reliance Jio will replicate Alibaba's magic — and this time Zuckerberg will get a chunk
Silver Lakemay have a smaller stake in Reliance Jiothan Facebook but its role may be pivotal to making Mukesh Ambani’s e-commerce goals come to fruition.
- Where Jio rules over telecom and Facebook over social networking, Silver Lake brings in the know-how of e-commerce.
- As one of the world’s biggest technology investors, it already has experience with Alibaba and ANT Financial that it can lend to Jio.
It also invested in Jack Ma’s other venture — ANT financial earlier known as Alipay — which is now China’s leading fintech platform that does everything from payment processing to wealth management. Most of its other investments, like Airbnb, the Blackhawk Network, Cegid, Credit Karma and Fanatics are centred around providing e-commerce solutions.
Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani hopes that the same magic will work with Jio, which is also en route to getting spun out into a different company. “We will induct leading global partners in these businesses in the next few quarters, and move towards listing both these companies [Reliance Jio and Reliance Retail] in the next five years,” he said during Reliance Industries 42nd annual general meeting.
Reliance is known for its dominance in telecom as well as in physical retail. Facebook is, very obviously, known for its social networking. But neither has had a lot of luck with e-commerce. And, that’s where Silver Lake comes in.
The partnership between Reliance Jio and Facebook may look complimentary on paper but the recent stake sale to Silver Lake is likely an integral part of what’s going to make it click. The deal “endorses the technology capability Jio has built using futuristic and cutting edge technologies,” according to the analysis by Frost and Sullivan.
Silver Lake may have bought into Reliance Jio at a premium, but its past investments show that it usually knows the right price. And its experience with China’s super-app mania to help Jio with a similar aspiration in India.
And this time,
Reliance Jio’s valuation jumps more than half a billion dollars in just 12 days, thanks to Silver Lake
Airtel shares set for a catch-up rally after Reliance Jio takes a huge valuation lead
Here's how Reliance Industries right issue may affect the share price
Popular on BI
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- Bahamas, Taiwan, Malta & more: Here are 10 countries offering digital nomad visa
- Maruti Suzuki cars will get costlier from January 2023
- Paytm’s optimistic growth projections boost sentiments, shares climb nearly 8%
- India stands like oasis in era of uncertainty amid global inflation, says SBI Research
- Personal loans fintech platform KreditBee raises $80 million in Series-D investment round