Reliance has bagged nearly half of all private equity investments in India this year – and that doesn’t include the $10 billion from Facebook and Google
- Apart from being the world’s fifth richest person, Mukesh Ambani has so far sealed over $20 billion in investments for Jio Platforms and over $2 billion for Reliance Retail.
- While India has seen $26.8 billion in PE and VC investments so far, $12.1 billion has gone to Reliance alone.
- VC investments even though have been quite active this year, the total has fallen by 18% in value and 26% in volume as compared to previous year.
In 2020, private equity (PE) and venture capital (VC) investment is clearly dominated by Reliance. According to a report by Venture Intelligence, the Reliance deals account for 45% of all PE-VC deals so far this year.
And while India has seen $26.8 billion in investments so far, $12.1 billion has gone to Reliance alone. It doesn’t even include the $10.2 billion Ambani received from tech giants Facebook and Google.
Reliance Retail investments so far
|Company||Investment in Reliance Retail||Stake in Reliance Retail|
|Silver Lake||₹9,375 crore||2.13%|
|General Atlantic||₹3,675 crore||0.84%|
Reliance Jio total investments
It is also worthy to note that Mukesh Ambani isn’t done yet with raising the moolah. Reliance Retail and its fibre InvIT are set to raise more funds.
VC investments fall in 2020
Though Reliance deals have garnered a major share, the overall venture capital investment picture remains tepid. Total investments have fallen by 18% in value and 26% in volume as compared to the previous year.
Some of the big-ticket investments by startups include Zomato’s $250 million investment, Dream11’s $225 million, BYJU’s over $1 billion investments from PE and VC firms, among others.
Mukesh Ambani is not done – Jio Fiber to get over $1 billion as Abu Dhabi and Saudi sovereign funds are set to invest in Reliance InvIT
Relief for passengers who cancelled air tickets during the lockdown — Supreme Court accepts DGCA recommendations
Reliance Retail raises another ₹1,875 crore as Silver Lake comes back with an additional investment
Indian startup giants are considering a 'Made in India' alternative for app store — in a bid to tackle Google's 'monopoly'
- NASSCOM says Budget 2021 should ensure ESOPs are taxed only when shares are sold
- Asian Paints profit jumps 62% led by a powerful performance in the decorative paint segment
- How to apply for Home First Finance Company IPO
- Cryptocurrency startup BuyUcoin hacked, data of over 3 lakh users leaked
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Go with 10th gen Intel Core i5 processor launched starting at ₹63,499