UPI reaches new heights with 5.58 billion transactions in April 2022
- This is the highest number of monthly
UPItransactions ever since the launch of this digital payments system in 2016.
- The payments platform witnessed transactions worth ₹9.83 lakh crore last month.
- The payments system recorded over 45 billion transactions worth ₹84 lakh crore in the fiscal year 2022.
AdvertisementThe data shared by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has revealed that 5.58 billion transactions were carried out through Unified Payments Interface (UPI) in April 2022. This is the highest number of monthly UPI transactions ever since the launch of this digital payments system in 2016.
The payments platform witnessed transactions worth ₹9.83 lakh crore last month.
In comparison, UPI registered 5.4 billion transactions worth ₹9.6 lakh crore in March 2022, which means that the volume of transactions grew 3.28% and the value of transactions dipped 2.36% in April.
UPI is among the most popular digital payments methods available in the country at the moment. After all, the system has been designed to enable payments in a matter of seconds.
The payments system recorded over 45 billion transactions worth ₹84 lakh crore between April 2021 and March 2022, or the fiscal year 2022. This was nearly double of 22 billion transactions worth ₹41 lakh crore that was carried out in the previous fiscal year.
Walmart-owned PhonePe has facilitated the most UPI transactions over the last two fiscal years. According to simple calculations based on the monthly payments data shared by NPCI, PhonePe carried out 20.7 billion UPI transactions in FY2022, which roughly represented 46% of the overall transactions.
It was followed by Google Pay, which facilitated 35%, or 15.8 billion, of such transactions. It was followed by Paytm, or rather Paytm Payments Bank, with 13% market share. WhatsApp carried out 17 million transactions last fiscal year.
NPCI is expected to share the app-based data for April in the second week of May.
In order to further spread the usage of UPI, the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) has enabled the payment method for feature phone users and in offline mode with the launch UPI123Pay in March 2022.
Amid global ecological crisis, these five Indian women ecopreneurs are building innovative green businesses for a greener future
Wipro, Tata Motors, Maruti, YES Bank among stock to watch out for on May 2
AdvertisementAmazon Summer Sale to begin on May 4 – offers on smartphones, laptops, appliances and more
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Flights could get bumpier as climate change makes air turbulence much more frequent
- A Swiggy user from Hyderabad spends Rs 6 lakh ordering idlis in a year
- Repo rate hike will slow down real estate, reverse post-Covid trends, says industry body to RBI
- Small stocks lag behind in FY23; take bigger hit than bluechip firms
- Tamil Nadu says 'nahi to dahi' over Hindi name on curd packets